Quad Mount Vernon AE insert settings for Vermont Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyatt9696

Sep 26, 2009
CT
Hey there folks, anyone have recommended settings for these pellets. i. e. flame height etc...Thanks
any help would be appreciated

wyatt9696 said:
Hey there folks, anyone have recommended settings for these pellets. i. e. flame height etc...Thanks
any help would be appreciated
I dont use those pellets, however, setting the flame height on the AE is the same for all pellets. Select your fuel type, hardwood softwood etc., and set stove to manual high setting. After stove stabilizes, check to see if the flame hits the top of the diamond on the baffle. If it is too low, increase the flame height if too high decrease. I use Turman hardwood pellets and I am set at -5 flame height. After the flame height is set you can then put the stove back on auto or manual and what ever heat setting you want.

I dont use those pellets, however, setting the flame height on the AE is the same for all pellets. Select your fuel type, hardwood softwood etc., and set stove to manual high setting. After stove stabilizes, check to see if the flame hits the top of the diamond on the baffle. If it is too low, increase the flame height if too high decrease. I use Turman hardwood pellets and I am set at -5 flame height. After the flame height is set you can then put the stove back on auto or manual and what ever heat setting you want.

I too have a Mt Vernon insert. I'm currently using Maine's Choice for the shoulder season. What is the difference between your method and simply adjusting the flame height setting in Auto? I adjust the flame to the top of the diamond (like you do). However, using the Maine's Choice pellets, I found that I needed to set the flame height to +5 (max).

Also, on a different note, I always set fuel type to Hardwood, whether I use hard or softwood, as this setting gives the longest burn time between burn pot cleanings.

EarlyMan

EarlyMan said:

I too have a Mt Vernon insert. I'm currently using Maine's Choice for the shoulder season. What is the difference between your method and simply adjusting the flame height setting in Auto? I adjust the flame to the top of the diamond (like you do). However, using the Maine's Choice pellets, I found that I needed to set the flame height to +5 (max).

Also, on a different note, I always set fuel type to Hardwood, whether I use hard or softwood, as this setting gives the longest burn time between burn pot cleanings.

EarlyMan
the way i explained it is the way it is in the manual. you adjust the flame height on manual high to the top of the diamond then it will be correct in any other setting either auto or manual. the flame height adjust is actually the pellet feed rate adjustment on the AE.

actually softwood setting provides the longest autoclean time.

copied and pasted from another source:

sslow ss med. max igniter time A/C cycle time shutdown time
corn 14 min 12 min. 14 min. 2.4 hrs. 10 min

ut. pell. 4 min 5 min. 4 min. 1.2 hrs 10 min.

softwood 4 min 5 min. 4 min. 3.2 hrs. 10 min.

sunflseeds4min 5 min 4 min. 2.4 hrs. 10 min.

wheat 10 min 10 min 10 min. 1.8 hrs. 10 min.

hrdwood 4 min. 5 min. 4 min. 2.1 hrs. 10 min.

A/C cycle times are estimated when the unit is running at the "high" output set.
and remember that the igniter comes on 1.5 min. before it even feeds. so add all times together for total igniter "on" time

the way i explained it is the way it is in the manual. you adjust the flame height on manual high to the top of the diamond then it will be correct in any other setting either auto or manual. the flame height adjust is actually the pellet feed rate adjustment on the AE.

Yep, you're right. I guess I need to read the manual a little more! :lol: And, I stand corrected on the the fuel type settings, too. I actually DO have my stove set to the softwood setting. Why I said hardwood probably has something to do with how the passage of time affects the brain! ;-)

EarlyMan

I burn Vermont Pellets in my Mount Vernon. It's a great combination. Lot's of heat, little ash, and no clinkers. After tinkering with the settings quite a bit, I find that "sunflower seeds"for fuel type, high elevation, and flame height -4 is optimum for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.