quad mt vernon auger not working!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r6yamaboy

Nov 30, 2011
s.e. PA
new here and prob your first thought is another moron who didnt read the "read first" haha. after much investigation i cannot come to the bottom of my auger problen. all snap disks are good. vac switch jumped. even on diagnostic i have no auger spin. i think i have .7 volts to the auger? please help! i think i read i need 1.1 volts to run motor any thoughts? thanks in advance

sorry i failed to mention i have had auger out and it does run on 110. i was told auger was good. but now having second thoughts.

Are all doors closed on the stove, some stoves stop the auger if any of the doors are open. I haven't a copy of manuals for you stove on my system at the moment, so this is a shot in the dark.

yes doors are shut and also i have the vacuum switch jumped by connecting the two wires. this should have eliminated that right?

If the auger runs by itself on 120V, then that's not your problem.

Does the stove have a hopper lid switch?

ok great! thats good to know. to my knowledge there is not a hopper lid switch. there is the vacuum which im sure you know but i thought that was controlled by the door and the level of pellets right?

if you have a clear box you could try running it in test mode

stoveguy13 said:

OP stated in 1st post that he tried the stove in diagnostic mode....no good.

05 Mt.Verny said:
ok great! thats good to know. to my knowledge there is not a hopper lid switch. there is the vacuum which im sure you know but i thought that was controlled by the door and the level of pellets right?
Yes the Mt. Vernon does have a hopper lid switch, the auger will stop when the hopper lid is open.

imacman said:
stoveguy13 said:

OP stated in 1st post that he tried the stove in diagnostic mode....no good.
missed that sorry i would say it is the box the feed circut can break and stop the motor from getting voltage

i have tried setting one with snap disk 1 jumped and all works but auger. i was unaware of the hopper switch. this is a non A.E. to clarify. what should the voltage to the auger be? is .7 volts anywhere near right? everything else works fine. if i feed the stove manually it burns no prob. i also have another comp from my brothers identical stove that has the same result. thanks guys!

try jumping the vac switch

I'm assuming its a non AE Mt Vernon judging by your screen name?

05 Mt.Verny said:
.....what should the voltage to the auger be? is .7 volts anywhere near right? .....

When the control board sends voltage to the auger to feed pellets, it will be 120v, and then 0 (or very close to it....maybe the .7 you read) when it stops.

Simply put, the control board is not sending any voltage to the auger.

Keep looking for that hopper switch.

that is good to know! i was not sure on the voltage. i just went over my hopper there is not a trace of any kind of electrical connection that could be a switch im sorry guys i cant find it. it might be there but i cant imagine where?

with that post from imacman i thought about the computer again and put my brothers computer back in! the person before me perhaps had broken the back fastener that holds the wiring harness so when i first tried his box i must not have had a good connection! thanks! so much guys! look like i need a new computer! thanks! so much guys! any advice on best place for a comp or go through dealer?

I hope you really don't need a new control box, as it's called, as i'm sure their pretty $$.

One of the members on this forum has a stove shop, and sells Quads. He is a great guy, and will give discounts to Hearth.com members.....his name is Eric.

Call him tomorrow at Kinsman Stoves. He is also a certified pellet stove Tech, and may be able to help you diagnose the problem, or in the worst case, can get you a control box.

Call him at the Brookfield Store phone number: www.kinsmanstoves.com

To run diagnostic mode to check the auger you need to have the vac switch AND the snap disc jumped, not just one or the other. Take your control box to your dealer and see if they have a stove to test it on. Chances are they don't but it's worth a shot. There is NO hopper lid switch on the non-AE Mt Vernon.

thanks again for the advice probable going to hit up eric and see what he says! do computers go half bad? seems like it would be all or nothing?

05 Mt.Verny said:
. i think i have .7 volts to the auger? please help! i think i read i need 1.1 volts to run motor any thoughts? thanks in advance

1.1 volts??? You just ran it on 110 volts. You're reading stray voltage from somewhere, which means you are not getting voltage to your motor. Do you have a schematic in your owner's manual. What's in the line with the vacuum switch and the auger motor? There's probably a snap disk. If it's resettable with a button between the connectors, push it in (with power OFF). disconnect the wires and measure resistance across the switch. Should be zero.

What else is in the line?

edit: Looking at an old manual for the Mt. Vernon, there is NO lid switch, just the vac switch and disk #2. You said you checked disk #1. You need to check 2.

There have been some issues with these stoves, non AE, with the control box connector. Sometimes they need to be reseated and everything will work again. I have not heard of any of the control boxes on this stove going bad for no reason. Not saying it can't happen just that its pretty rare. Was this stove subjected to a elecric surge or worked on with the stove plugged in?

If your brother has the same stove try your box in his.
Have you taken the augar out? It is only 2 nuts to get it out. I know you said the motor ran but the two can be taken apart as seperate items.

I have seen them not feed but will do everything else, so yes is the answer

Status
Not open for further replies.