Quadra Fire Castile(insert) owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im debating about installing an oak on my Castile insert and have read countless threads on this forum and have found one Castile insert owner that did and noticed that it wasn't drawing in any cold air from the outside or very minimal because of the design of where it attaches to the stove. As you know if you have one that where it enters underneath by the ash drawer that its not a sealed system. I just don't want to waist the time and money to do it if its not worth it.

I put an OAK on my Castile insert last year and ran the flex pipe into the ash cleanout in the fireplace. I stuffed the area around the pipe with an abundance of fibreglass to seal it. Outside at the cleanout door, I was never able to detect any flow of air but, admittedly, I did not try a smoke test to see if it were drawn in.
Now you DO have to run the flex THROUGH the hole in the back of the stove on the left and then over to the right side of the ash pan enclosure. You know that, right? Even so, the design, as you said, really sucks as far as airtightness goes. Someone recently suggested filling the gaps with silicone, which I intend to do.
I'm still intending to add an Oak to my Sante Fe but that involves coming down the chimney. I have the parts ready to go but waiting for it to stop raining and for me to get some energy!!!

tjnamtiw said:
I put an OAK on my Castile insert last year and ran the flex pipe into the ash cleanout in the fireplace. I stuffed the area around the pipe with an abundance of fibreglass to seal it. Outside at the cleanout door, I was never able to detect any flow of air but, admittedly, I did not try a smoke test to see if it were drawn in.
Now you DO have to run the flex THROUGH the hole in the back of the stove on the left and then over to the right side of the ash pan enclosure. You know that, right? Even so, the design, as you said, really sucks as far as airtightness goes. Someone recently suggested filling the gaps with silicone, which I intend to do.
I'm still intending to add an Oak to my Sante Fe but that involves coming down the chimney. I have the parts ready to go but waiting for it to stop raining and for me to get some energy!!!

As far as the kit for my stove goes i was looking at this one which is listed in my owners manual http://www.ebay.com/itm/15066946604...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_787wt_1162. My stove was made in '03 and my inlet is on the right side if your facing the insert and according to the kit you just hook up the flange and run your hose out side to fresh air.. I was going to go to lowes and see if i could find a metal flange and outside cap instead of spending $100 plus for the kit online.Thanks for your input also.

I made my own using metal flex line I bought from McMaster Carr supply.
Mine was a leftover scrap from work that was in scrap pile.

I used a short pice of exhaust tubing from a car that I welded to a piece of sheet metal that I put a hole in with hole saw.
I then attached with RTV and self tapping screws.

I also put a piece of stainless screen over the end to keep critters out.

You are right its not sealed on the back of the stove and on mine it looked like the left side where it attaches is open I really don't see how much air it could suck in.

total cost $0 but never ran stove without but was worried because my house was so tight my old fireplace wouldn't burn without a window open.

Hi skidozer, love that Valkyrie, you lucky dog!
My Castile has the hole on the left side but if you pull out the ash pan, you should see another hole in the back on the right. I ran my McMaster flex :cheese: thru the hole on the left and terminated just like you with a home made fitting on the right hand hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.