Quadra Fire Castille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDogg

Dec 1, 2009
Central Mass
We just finished doing the room over our garage over and I am looking for a second source of heat in there besides the heat from the second floor heat hydro air zone. The thermostat for the second floor heat zone is on the other side of the house and the room over the garage seems to stay a few degrees cooler than the rest of the second floor. When we are using the room at night I would like to have a pellet stove in there to keep everyone a little warmer. I have the hearth built with tile and a stainless steel flue going up through the room already and am looking for a good pedestal style pellet stove. I found a place near by that is selling the quadra-fire castille for $2,550 until their supplies are out. I imagine it is because we are at the end of the burning season and they are trying to reduce their inventory. Anyone have any good or bad to say about this stove? Or any other types that could be suggested I take a look at before purchasing this one? The room is about 700 s.f. and I dont plan on using more than a ton or so of pellets a year as I am only planning on using this at night for a few hours while we are in there. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

That's a lot of money to spend for a couple of hours of burning a night but, hey, it's your money. Everyone is going to chime in and tell you that most pellet stove makers state that they are NOT to be used in bedrooms, period. Thought I would be the first. :)

It is a good stove. But yes a lot of money to burn 1/2 bag a day. All depends on what the style is you are going for. Heatilator makes much cheaper units, same burn system as the QuadraFire.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
It is a good stove. But yes a lot of money to burn 1/2 bag a day. All depends on what the style is you are going for. Heatilator makes much cheaper units, same burn system as the QuadraFire.

Eric

x2 on the Heatilator. There are many threads on the Heatilators. A simple search will show you many good posts. H & H make both. Much cheaper route, same internal guts.

I agree that its a lot of money to spend to use for a couple hours each night. but I am really trying to get something that looks nice, is a pedestal style stove, and have a good viewing area to see the fire with a log set inside. There are not a whole lot too choose from and I also want something that is of good quality. I looked at the heatilators and they are not the pedestal type stoves I am looking for. On and the room that its going in is not a bedroom, its a playroom/family room. We will be using the stove for heat, but it is also for just having the ambiance of having a fire going while using the room.

Well, then the Quad is a good stove. Very easy to operate and much easier to clean than some models out there. Castile is a pretty stove, thats for sure.

X2 on Dexter's comments! Englander/Summer's Heat/Timberridge also make pedestal mounts that look good and, from reading here, have the best factory-direct technical support of almost all stoves.

Oh, and don't waste your money, like I did, on buying that log set. It makes cleaning twice as hard and twice as often. You will find yourself quickly putting them back in a box labeled 'Useless log set' and stored in the attic, only to be brought out in the summer to decorate the unused stove. Everyone here will tell you that.

Maybe I was saying it wrong when I mentioned about want the pedestal style stove. What I mean is the type with the 4 lets that hold it up, not the kind with the box looking thing that its sitting on. The englander stoves all have the box type base which is what I am trying to stay away from. I think the 4 leg type stoves are nicer looking, just my own preference.

Enviro makes 2 models. The Empress and the M55 cast. Also Lopi makes a 4 legged cast model. I believe its the Leyden. All are good models. Although the price you are getting on the Castile, you prob couldn't get one of the above mentioned stoves for that price.

How prices have gone up, I paid $100 more for my CB1200.

I have the Quad and like it ,came with the house 4 years and not one problem,I agree dont waste money on log set I had to have it and not sure where it is now but its not in the stove.My only dislike about
it is pellets cost money and my firewood is free and have thought of a retirement party for it and replace with my retired Waterford.

I would say go for it if you don't mind spending the cash. It sounds like your mind is made up.

And I do like the look of it also.

I have the castile insert and this being a long cold winter burning since october I love it.
I like the look of it and burnt 2 tons this winter saved me 2 tanks of propane.

I agree go for it. I've had one of these for the last 6 years and I haven't had one problem. Just keep it clean and you will do fine. The log set is useless unless you really want the look as others have said it makes cleaning alot harder and longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.