Quadra-Fire Contour auger runs backwards about 50% of the time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

navycob

Nov 5, 2011
Central CT
About half the time my auger motor runs backwards, causing the fuel to run low and the stove to trip off. I have read a couple of posts here about the capacitor in line to the motor going bad. However, I dont have that. On mine, the capacitor seems to be part of, or inside the motor housing. There are 2 wires going into the top of the housing, and two more going into the lower half. I think the top 2 are the cap wires, and there are cap type numbers on the top of the housing. My question is, can I just snip those wires, and install a new cap in its place?

Not sure how the contour is designed but when I had my classic bay 1200 I had a similar problem and all I did was put a new capacitor in line with the black and red wire I believe On the auger Motor

Lineman30 said:
Not sure how the contour is designed but when I had my classic bay 1200 I had a similar problem and all I did was put a new capacitor in line with the black and red wire I believe On the auger Motor

Thanks. What I am not sure about is do I cut the wires and tie in a new cap, or splice the new cap onto them. According to my wiring diagram in the owners manual, the cap is on the red and red/white wires. But there is no red/white. I have 2 whites, tied together at the plug, and then a red and a black.

navycob said:
Lineman30 said:

Thanks. What I am not sure about is do I cut the wires and tie in a new cap, or splice the new cap onto them. According to my wiring diagram in the owners manual, the cap is on the red and red/white wires. But there is no red/white. I have 2 whites, tied together at the plug, and then a red and a black.

Sounds similar but I think its the red and black and I remember 2 whites I think. All I did was strip a little on each wire and solider on each prong. Mine was reversing and it fixed it right up.

Lineman30 said:
navycob said:
Lineman30 said:

Sounds similar but I think its the red and black and I remember 2 whites I think. All I did was strip a little on each wire and solider on each prong. Mine was reversing and it fixed it right up.

Gtreat. Thank you. I will try that. Where did you get the cap? I have not checked everywhere, but the Radio shack web site does not list anything close.

navycob said:
Lineman30 said:
navycob said:
Lineman30 said:

Gtreat. Thank you. I will try that. Where did you get the cap? I have not checked everywhere, but the Radio shack web site does not list anything close.

I actually got the CAP at my quad dealer. The tech had one in his tool box. I wish I had wrote down the size but I do remember it was brown and square. I put the cap on the motors wire harness

Lineman30 said:
navycob said:
Lineman30 said:
navycob said:
Lineman30 said:

I actually got the CAP at my quad dealer. The tech had one in his tool box. I wish I had wrote down the size but I do remember it was brown and square. I put the cap on the motors wire harness

Thanks. I can see the size on my motor. It tells me the cap size. I will see if I can get one at the dealer. Thanks for your help.

For my model Quads, you can buy a capacitor with plugs on both ends. You just unplug the motor and put the new capacitor harness between the existing plugs, leaving the old one in place. If just want the cap, then you can try www.digikey.com or www.jameco.com or www.mouser.com. Good luck.

Hey, navycob, were you really COB? We had a great one on my sub.

navycob said:
tjnamtiw said:
Hey, navycob, were you really COB? We had a great one on my sub.

Yes. I was COB on Francis Scott Key Gold. HOwdy shipmate!

Howdy, Chief! I was Comm/Sonar officer most of the time on the Grant Gold 631 out of Guam in 67 -70. Spent a patrol back in the engine room too. Also road the old Pomfret out of San Diego for training.

I still keep in touch with my COB, Chief Faerber. It didn't take me long to learn who REALLY runs the boat!!! ha ha ha. %-P

You guys have a nice web site and still have reunions too. That's great!

:cheese: I can just see the 'regulars' googling like mad to know what a COB is. Might as well google '41 for freedom' too so you can see who was protecting your butts in the 60's and 70's. :lol:

Well, if they put it together with subs, they might fiond out. I was the COB on they Key for 3 years, and decomed her in Peral in 93.

COB - the guy who chews you a new AH for using cheap alcohol to sway the timing of getting your tags hung :cheese:

One needs a good brandy or whiskey to sway the COB

Aaron Pasteris said:
COB - the guy who chews you a new AH for using cheap alcohol to sway the timing of getting your tags hung :cheese:

We had beer, wine, the Doc's 'medicinal booze', and, of course, 'torpedo juice', which was 95 proof! Kept a pint in my Top Secret safe! Now's there's something that will keep you from sleeping at night! I was the one decoding the firing orders!!!! :cheese:

Of course, my Chief was the one copying the morse code message. He was amazing. He could be typing out 5 letter groups of morse code while telling you a joke. I eventually learned code too and still have my license.

tjnamtiw said:
Aaron Pasteris said:

We had beer, wine, the Doc's 'medicinal booze', and, of course, 'torpedo juice', which was 95 proof! Kept a pint in my Top Secret safe! Now's there's something that will keep you from sleeping at night! I was the one decoding the firing orders!!!! :cheese:

Of course, my Chief was the one copying the morse code message. He was amazing. He could be typing out 5 letter groups of morse code while telling you a joke. I eventually learned code too and still have my license.

I must have been doing something wrong. No one ever tried to bribe me! haha

navycob said:

Can't say that I ever heard of bribing the COB or any Chief, for that matter. I learned early on to let them do their jobs, since they knew infinitely more than me, back them up 100% on any decisions they made, get them what they needed if they needed help, and do my jobs.

Sure miss the camaraderie and family-like atmosphere that we had on our boat. That was back before everything went to hell. Now women on board! What really sucks about that is that, I don't believe, they are nuclear trained but just submarine trained. That means that they won't be taking any of the jobs aft and will be taking forward jobs. That makes it harder for men to get those jobs. Not fair at all. 3 women on a boat fighting over a few jobs forward.

tjnamtiw said:
navycob said:

Can't say that I ever heard of bribing the COB or any Chief, for that matter. I learned early on to let them do their jobs, since they knew infinitely more than me, back them up 100% on any decisions they made, get them what they needed if they needed help, and do my jobs.

Sure miss the camaraderie and family-like atmosphere that we had on our boat. That was back before everything went to hell. Now women on board! What really sucks about that is that, I don't believe, they are nuclear trained but just submarine trained. That means that they won't be taking any of the jobs aft and will be taking forward jobs. That makes it harder for men to get those jobs. Not fair at all. 3 women on a boat fighting over a few jobs forward.

Yeah, me too. I think about the Navy in one way or another everyday.

Listen, now that I have an idea of what to do to my stove, I wont be around here often. I am not expert enough to offer advise, at least not yet. But if you want to stay in touch, my email is [email protected] Always like talking to Sailors!

navycob said:
tjnamtiw said:
navycob said:

Yeah, me too. I think about the Navy in one way or another everyday.

Listen, now that I have an idea of what to do to my stove, I wont be around here often. I am not expert enough to offer advise, at least not yet. But if you want to stay in touch, my email is [email protected] Always like talking to Sailors!

Thanks for the offer. I'll put you on my mail list if I find something 'Navy', especially subs, or if I miss the smell of the ocean or diesel fuel. :) Once you get to know your stove and learn its wants and needs, drop in once in a while and share your knowledge. Most people here have not been into pellet stoves all that long either.
Be looking for you, Chief!

Oh, my brother was also a sailor but he was a 'skimmer', serving on the Oriskany, Newport News, an old destroyer by the name of Earnest G. Small. He also taught the Shah's navy in Bandar Abbas, Iran and at Great Lakes Training Center. He, unfortunately, died before retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.