quadrafire 1000 auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paragon

Jan 27, 2008
CO
I have a quadrafire 1000 and lately it will only start if i manually put in some pellets t grt it started after it starts it will run normally then on the next startup cycle it will not start until i put pellets in the metal pot,,,, I vacuumed the auger track and the motor is leaking grease should i replace the motor or might it be a sensor?

the fire never starts because it never augers any pellets
you have to kind of jump start it with a handfull of pellets

I thought you had the model number wrong till I searched it. Never seen one of those before.

So let me get this right, when you first call for heat the auger will not turn at all. And then you toss in some pellets and the igniter lights them up. Then onces you get a small fire the controls take over and the auger start going?

the auger will turn at first i watched it but not enough pellets come out maybe one to three pieces

Could be a vacuum switch problem or it might just be the motor. Since the auger motor is leaking grease out of it that might be the problem.

You could try bypassing the vacuum switch as a test. Unplug the stove, then find the vacuum switch. It will have a hose going from it to a hose barb on the auger tube. Take the two wires off it and jumper them together. This will have 110v going through it when you plug it back in so be careful. Plug it back in and give it a try.

The vacuum switch is a safety switch so if this fixed it you need to figure out if the switch is broken or maybe the tube and barb just need to be cleaned out.

WELL THAT FIXED ME TAKING THE VACUUM SWITCH OUT OF THE LOOP,, BUT WHAT IS MY NEXT COURSE OF ACTION? I ORDERED A AUGER MOTER AND A NEW VACUUM SWITCH

PUTTING A LITTLE SUCK ON THE SWITCH DOES MAKE IT CONDUCT WITH AN OHMMETER ( THE OLD ONE)

WHAT ELSE?

Examine the air tube for any cracks or leaks. Also check the door seal to be sure it isn't leaking. If it is leaking, a new switch won't fix the problem.

Do as BeGreen said, you might not need a new vac switch. Blow the tube out and clean out the hose barb welded to the auger tube with a small alan or screwdriver. Check all over for air leaks, ash pan, door gasket. If it gets too much air in there it can loose the vacuum.

Its probably a tadpole gasket, in which case you should order it from Quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.