Quadrafire 5100 woes.. not a happy camper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roostriz

Oct 25, 2011
New Jersey
After checking out some used stoves via craigslist I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Quadrafire 5100 insert. I checked on Quadrafires website and the clearances all looked good. Get it home and unloaded and the sucker is too wide to fit all the way into my firebox. I guess maybe they redesigned it although this stove is only a few years old? Either way quad says it needs a 29 1/16 opening but the model I have requires almost 35. I have about 30 1/2. Talk about a bummer but it's my fault for not double checking the measurements myself when I looked at it.

Anybody know the price to open the front of my fireplace 2 inches on either side lol....

Chris

The depends on the construction. Throw up some pics so that we know what you are working with. Lots of bright people around, bet someone w/ have a suggestion / solution that may work for you.

pen

Well I'd just figured I'd update you guys. I ended up getting the stove to mostly fit. I cut the first set of bricks on a 45 degree angle which allowed me to slid the insert in with about 4 inches extra on the hearth. At this point I am either going to make a flat sheetmetal surround (easier) to cover where the insert meets the fireplace, or make one using the original surround mounting points and lay it back on a 45 towards the wall. Esentially this would be three seperate pieces and I would probably weld the them together where they meet at the top corners.

Got to have some pictures to see what is happening here. The current 5100i ACC body is only 29" wide. At this point I can't visualize the problem unless you trying to fit the entire insert inside including the front panel inside the fireplace opening? A top view of the insert with a tape measure would help clarify the issue.

Edit: Nevermind, I think you have a 5100i ACT, not a 5100i ACC. The 5100i ACC is new this year. The 5100i ACT has a 34 3/16" spread. The manual for that model is here: http://tinyurl.com/7gt4uax

Attachments

• 5100i-Wood-Insert top.jpg
    5100i-Wood-Insert top.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 381
Yes it is the ACT. Fit would have been fine with the ACC. I'd put up pics but my 5 year old daughter accidentally dropped our new camera on the floor last week and the lense is all jambed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.