Quadrafire 5100i ceramic baffle fragility and replacement options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hpl65

Oct 17, 2012
I’ve got a Quadrafire 5100i fireplace insert. The ceramic baffle board broke into 3-4 pieces after the first year; replacement broke again within the next year. I’ve put off replacing it (just kept the pieces close together), but year 4 is coming up and I really need to do something now.

I’m 99% sure that my chimney sweep isn’t whacking it. I may or may not be overfiring (will need to investigate further), but regardless of why it keeps breaking, I’m having trouble swallowing the replacement cost from Quadrafire, especially if this is going to be an annual event.

I’m interested in finding an alternative refractory baffle, but am becoming baffled (sorry) by the variety of options in what I’ve learned so far. Here are the questions I’ve come up with so far:

1. Pros and cons of Micore vs. Kaowool M board, versus other manufacturer’s products (CeraMaterials, Empire “Insboard”, Refractory Specialties Inc “Gemcolite”, others)?

2. I’ve read in some places that vermiculite is a poor choice. True? Why or why not?

3. Is it important to get a product with no organic binders (e.g. Gemcolite NS)?

4. Low density vs. high density board?

5. Temperature ratings? Most ceramic boards seem to be 2300F, but some go up to 3000F or more.

6. Any particular brand or construction method that improves durability and delays breakage?

7. I’m pretty sure I should stick with the ½” thickness of my original baffle, so I don’t muck with the burn space above the baffle. Correct?

8. If I’m successful finding an appropriate replacement material, advice on safely cutting it to size? Score & snap? Slice through with utility knife? Hand saw? I’m thinking I should avoid a power saw to minimize potentially toxic dust particles.

I also need to replace the ceramic blanket on top of the board.

1. Any reason to go with anything fancier than basic Kaowool?

2. Is 6 pound or 8 pound density preferred?

I greatly appreciate answers to any of the above questions, as well as additional advice that I forgot to ask about. Any tips on sources in the Maryland area (or reliable Internet sources at a good price) would be a bonus!

I had a small corner of my baffle board break on my Quadrafire 5700 . Was 2 years old. Factory warranted it. I can't remember , but the factory guy I talked to said the boards were covered for either 5 or 10 years. I was surprised. So my dealer just got me new baffle boards at no cost to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.