quadrafire castil grey dial on the control box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vargy

Nov 3, 2009
pa
hey all i was just wondering if anyone knows what the grey dial on the the control box does it has settings from 0 to 8 i think?? thanks

vargy said:
hey all i was just wondering if anyone knows what the grey dial on the the control box does it has settings from 0 to 8 i think?? thanks
What does the owners manual say it does?

Jeez, I used to know this one! It has come up here before, if I recall it has to do with feed rate timing for different stove models? Not sure, but I know it is not in the manual, I think they use the box in different models and there it needs to be set differently? I'll search around and see what I can find, I believe I asked Mountain Stove Guy this same question years back.

thanks alot for the help, i read through it and seen you messed with the settings did you notice any heat increase between the two settings?? mine is on 4 but it just doesnt seem to put as much heat as i think it should. my dad has a new englander from home depot rated at the same sq ft 1500 and his puts out alot more heat. thanks again

I believe I left it at four per the advice I had from this page, what type of fuel are you burning? How is the stove burning said fuel? Give us some more info on your setup and we'll get you figured out, may just be a feed rate/air issue, the stoves need to be tuned a bit to get the best output. I would not mess with that box until you have the other variables figured out, even then it is something that should not be messed with imho. Is the stove clean?

yeah stove is running the same as the day i bought it roughly a year ago. i mean its a great stove but i would have to run it at high to get the heat output out that my fathers can get on his lowest setting. i run instant heat wood pellets all hardwood, we make the pellets ourself well my bosses second company does i run the sawmill end of the operation. The stove is setup just basic i mean a 2ft straight pipe out the wall with the angled end piece at the end. fire is as the book recomends so as far as the stove running everything seems to be the way the manual says it should be. The only difference between mine and my fathers other than brand is i hooked up the outside air kit on his and mine does not have it. ive read alot on the internet saying that shouldnt make a difference but to me it seems like the fresh outside air would make the fire hotter. so myabe i need to buy the outside air kit for my stove let me know what you think. thanks alot for all your help

My stand alone Castile will not allow my hands pressed on the top of the stove for more than a few seconds after burning for an hour or so on high. Does yours get this hot? You know there is a three way switch in back, correct, high, med, low? I'm sure you do, just checking.... If the flame is low, open the feed gate in the hopper a bit, wing nut, pull it up about a half an inch or less or so and let it run for a half hour, adjust from there, wait, adjust again if needed. The fresh air may help if you have it in a tight area air wise, crack a window by the stove when it is running and see if it makes a difference, if it does then get one. Lastly, different stoves like different fuel, try a different pellet, buy a bag or two of premium grade pellets elsewhere and try them and see what happens. That said, my stove has eaten soy beans, dog food, corn, etc, so if it is fed well it should perform well imho. Keep us posted, we'll get it figured out, that's what goes on here.

yeah i know about all the adjustments to the stove and have messed around with them the stove burns great, yes if i burn it on high it will get really hot, guess im just used to the on i e my father has and he cant run it off of low or it will get to hot. anyways i was just checking to see if thats how my stove should run or if i needed to do something. thanks alot for all the help hotz

I would try a different pellet but it would not be worth it to me i get to good of a deal on the pellets we make!!

Leave it alone, its not something for homeowners to change. Most of the other settings are for different stoves and will cause your stove to not burn correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.