QuadraFire Castile Insert - Auger Death Rattle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sesro1978

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2008
Vermont, USA
Hi-

So the Castile insert saga continues. Thus far, I've replaced the combustion blower, the convection blower, and just for good measure, the thermocouple cover. I've recently noticed (now that both blowers have been replaced and I can hear other things besides screeching and whining) that the auger (or maybe the auger motor) makes a chug, chug, chug, bang sound. Anyone else have any issues with the Castile auger or motor? I doubt this is a 'normal' sound, but at the moment, it doesn't seem to be interfering with the stove's operation - i.e. my house is warm due to pellet heat.

Now, I've never actually drained the hopper of pellets to clean out the auger; should I do this? How do I get in there (please don't tell me I have to pull this beast back out of the fireplace again :( )I thought during the annual cleaning, the stove tech. was doing that...but it seems maybe they are not.

Actually (and no disrespect intended to any stove techs. out there) I have no idea what the heck they are doing during their annual visit, because I seem to be doing a better job diagnosing and fixing problems (with help from some of you guys here).

Anyway, back to the auger - ideas and suggestions are most welcome.

Sounds like you need to empty hopper and vacuum out the augur. Chug chug bang is maybe it reversing from something stuck in there. Removing the augur is quite easy if vacuuming doesn't do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.