Quadrafire Castile still acting up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I have a Castile pellet stove that I bought in 2007. It ran great until I accidently pinched the blower motor wires after cleaning the fan. That fried the control board, bought a new one from Pellethead. After replacing the control board every once in a while it would not start up. The call light would come on, but nothing else started. You could hit the reset button or turn the thermostat off and back on and it would start up and run. It might run great for a week then do it again or it might do it once, twice or all day long and you have to start it every time. I've turned the control board to the diagnostic mode and everything checks out. I've replaced the thermostat (both manual and auto one), the thermo couple burned out replaced that, combustion motor was getting week replaced that, changed the vacuum switch. Also changed the connector for the control panel.

When I mean the stove doesn't start I mean the combustion blower, auger or ignitor come on. When it does start it will start in less than two minutes. Only the red call light comes on.

I suspect that the control board is the problem since it didn't start doing it until I replaced it. Looking for recommendations, don't want to change the control board right until fall.

Bob

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Think I'd take a close look at the board and make sure all the components are securely soldered to the traces.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Think I'd take a toothpick and see if any components are loose on the board. You shouldn't have any movement if they are soldered correctly to the traces.

Former Farmer

Minister of Fire
Apr 12, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Have you tried cleaning the slot connector that the control board plugs into? I was having some problems with mine and had to rebend some of them to get better contact. Every once in a while it still acts up and I think I will have to replace the slot connector when I clean the whole unit this summer.

Reactions: SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Have you tried cleaning the slot connector that the control board plugs into? I was having some problems with mine and had to rebend some of them to get better contact. Every once in a while it still acts up and I think I will have to replace the slot connector when I clean the whole unit this summer.
Good point. I keep my board connector coating with di-electric grease. The contact pins are a bit flimsy.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
The stove started up right on time this morning, bit it shut down before it got the room up to temperature. Restarted it and it heated until it got to 67. Didn't start back up, so I restarted it. I noticed that the green thermocouple light did not turn green like it should but the stove started ok. Usually the thermocouple light comes on.

Bob

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I've seen the green light come on. This morning the green didn't come on but it started and ran good. We were gone all day and I don't think it ran all day temp was 59. Pushed the reset button and it started right up.

Whats the reason the green light is not coming on?

Bob

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I just shut the stove down and restarted it. The green light came on, red wasn't on, checked the ignitor and it wasn't red. Closed the ash door and the red light came on along with the blower (not combustion blower).

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
Lorraine NY
The sequence is when you push the reset or the tstat calls for heat it goes into startup mode. Pellets feed for a min or 2, igniter gets hot and starts a fire. The thermocouple senses there is a fire and it has reached about 300 ::F and the green light comes on and it then feeds another cycle of pellets which in turn start burning and the fire pot temp rises to about 800::F then the light will turn red and the stove goes into run mode, the igniter turns off. Now if you don’t have the stove set to med it may have false star (low just isn’t enough). If the ash has built up in the burn pot or the holes have gotten plugged or partially plugged it will affect the start up.

Reactions: johneh

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I empty the ash pot every day. When it won't start and I push the reset it will start up and run fine, both green and red lights come on. This morning it started and ran but the green/red lights did not come on. I could tell it wasn't going to continue to run. Pushed the reset and pellets dropped, green light came on it's running now. I replaced the thermocouple about a month ago.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Maybe it's time to pull the burn pot and soak it in warm water for 30 minutes or so to loosen the hard carbon in the combustion air holes.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
I clean the holes in the fire pit every time I empty the ash tray.

I've seen where others have said the thermocouple has to be in a specific spot. What is that, I believe when I put the new one in that I pushed it all the way in.

Bob

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
For all your issues and no viable cure, I believe I'd off it and buy another unit. Sounds to me like a money pit.

Ssyko

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2017
Lorraine NY
TC should touch the end of the ceramic cover and the cover should be over the pot by at least an inch
Maybe it's time to pull the burn pot and soak it in warm water for 30 minutes or so to loosen the hard carbon in the combustion air holes.
not an easy task with the cast iron1 piece pots

Last edited: