Quadrafire igniter problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cavermedic

Jun 13, 2008
Southern Vermont
Hi -
Anyone heard of problems with Quadrafire igniters? I've read several threads with inferences that they burn through quickly. I replaced the one on my Mt Vernon AE insert last Christmas eve, and the new one just failed as well. The first one had a bulge/crack in one side, but this one looks just fine. The local shop owner said that he has had a run on these lately.

I do run my stove on the hot side in order to heat our whole house, and on the manual setting, but less than 3 months is definitely not right!

3 seasons and going strong. I ordered one for the shelf from woodheatstoves.com, along with a comb blower gasket and a door gasket. I have read many threads on the Mt. Vernon ignitors needing replaced. They use a different ignitor than the other 3 models. Gets hotter to light straight corn. All the other models will burn straight corn (yeah right?) but have to be ignited by pellets first.
There is a new burn pot design out there to help eliminate this ignitor problem with the Mt. Vernon.

Someone with the actual model will chime in and be able to help.

How hot you run your stove shouldn't have any bearing whatsoever on the longevity of the filament; the igniter turns off when fire is achieved. How often the igniter cycles WILL have an effect and the actual current flowing to it has some bearing too. Check your porcelain connectors.

DexterDay said:
3 seasons and going strong. I ordered one for the shelf from woodheatstoves.com, along with a comb blower gasket and a door gasket. I have read many threads on the Mt. Vernon ignitors needing replaced. They use a different ignitor than the other 3 models. Gets hotter to light straight corn. All the other models will burn straight corn (yeah right?) but have to be ignited by pellets first.
There is a new burn pot design out there to help eliminate this ignitor problem with the Mt. Vernon.

Which gasket did you order for the comb blower? Do you pull the entire assembly or just the motor/fan to clean? In other words, the round $9 gasket or the flat sided $11 one?

tjnamtiw said:
DexterDay said:

Which gasket did you order for the comb blower? Do you pull the entire assembly or just the motor/fan to clean? In other words, the round $9 gasket or the flat sided $11 one?

I always get the round one, for 2 reasons. 1. Its cheaper. and 2. The other is much more a PITA to get housing off and on.
You can still get to everything with just the round gasket being replaced. Need to bend your wrist a little more, but the assortment of brushes I have , get it done.

Thanks, DD! I figured as much but had to ask to make sure. I guess it's time to make up an order getting the gaskets and maybe an igniter for the shelf for next season and some tadpole gasketing.

Just got my ignitor, Comb Blower gasket, and Door gasket (tadpole) today from woodheatstoves.com. The blower gaskets are cheap. I use 2 of those gaskets a year, one is Spring (end of season), and one mid-season. Its alot easier to just pull the motor (round gasket) than the entire Comustion assembly. Many out there for about $10. Give or take. Woodheatstoves.com has good prices and fast shipping. (I used standard UPS, took 5 business days)

Status
Not open for further replies.