Quadrafire Mount Vernon Non AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo-Quad

Feb 3, 2010
Illinois
I have been reflecting on last winters performance and I had a big problem running my stove off the thermostat while away from home. I'd set it on medium and go to work and come home to a freezing house. I'd like to get around this some how this year. Is there some way to tweek this older model stove? It will only stay running if I am not constantly monitoring it or I can set it on high, leave it there and set the thermostat up to about 90.

I am not an expert but I have the same stove. Is the thermostat too close to the stove? I have a cheepee programmable stat on mine which sets the stove back from 9 till 2:30 then starts it back up again. If it does not run right without you there, then I guess it needs cleaning or something. Also the kind of pellets you use make a big difference if you are burning on low

I have the stove apart now for the first time. I have no experience buit it seems pretty clean. No soot just dust and rust in the exhaust blower. The convection blower was pretty dusty. Ozark Hardwood Products are all I have burned. What do you burn?

I have the same stove and had a similar problem to what you are talking about. I would have to set my thermostat to 90 to keep it running. My problem was I had the thermostat on a wall where the heat from the ceiling run down that wall because I have to Cathedral type ceilings. I relocated my thermostat to a wall where the heat does not run down because it is in the center of the room and now my place is pretty well evenly heated. Stove works great and the thermostat in this location seems ideal.... no problems now. hope this helps. :)

I have burned:
Statesman ( southern States Brand) Very happy
AWF Happy
Ligs, (green label) not happy
Elcheapo Lowes brand not happy

Status
Not open for further replies.