Quadrafire Santa Fe question on Heat Level Setting for Start-up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I am testing out the Santa Fe and it seems a little smokey at Start-Up. Please see pic.
When the fire lites all the smoke clears.
Stove is a 2005 with the clear control box.

Now the manual states to start the fire on Heat Level High the 1st time but does not say any level for subsequent starts.

In the pic below, I started the stove on Lo Heat Level. Does that create more smoke? What do you do on your Santa Fe?
Is yours this smokey?

The pot is clean, the cleanout plate is closed all the way,no extra fuel at startup, and the exhaust venting is clean.

The manual states on page 23 to start on Hi Heat level.

D. Starting Your First Fire
1. A thermostat is required for proper operation of this
appliance, except for corn. At this time, fill the hopper
with pellets, set the thermostat to its lowest setting. Plug
the power cord into nearby outlet.
2. The exhaust blower will stay on for approximately 18
minutes even though the thermostat is not calling for
heat. This is normal.
3. Locate the heat output control switch mounted on the back
of the appliance in the upper right corner. See Figure 22.1
on page 22. Turn it to the “high” setting by pushing the
top of the control switch in and then adjust the thermostat
to its highest setting. Open the right side panel and the
red call light located to the left of the control box will be
on. Figure 23.1. This indicates the thermostat is calling
for heat.
4. The fuel feed system and the igniter should now be on.
5. For your first fire it will be necessary to press the reset
button once approximately 2 minutes after start up and
again in 5 minutes. This will fill the feed system and allow
the appliance to begin dropping pellets. The appliance
will continue to run as long as the thermostat is calling
for heat.
6. Once the appliance has ignited, let it burn for approximately
15 minutes, then set the thermostat to the desired room
temperature. Adjust the heat output control switch to the
desired setting.

Troubleshooting on bottom of page 25 and top of page 26
Slow or smoky start-up.

Firepot clean-out plate not closed.
Firepot is dirty.
Excessive amount of fuel at start-up.
Dirty exhaust and/or venting system.

Check that firepot clean-out is fully closed.
Clean firepot. Make sure there is not a
clinker in the firepot. Clinkers may have to
pushed out of firepot with firepot scraper
tool or other means.
Reduce feed rate using feed rate adjustment
control rod located inside hopper.
Check for ash build up in unit, including
behind rear panels, firebox, heat
exchanger, exhaust blower and venting.

Attachments

• IMG03011-20120730-1945.jpg
    IMG03011-20120730-1945.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG03035-20120731-2324.jpg
    IMG03035-20120731-2324.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 495
  • Quadsantafe.jpg
    Quadsantafe.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 534
I have the Castile which is the same stove with a different appearance. After the first few lights you can light the stove on whatever setting you wish. The thermostat will call for heat and the control box controls ignition and after certain temps are met it will slow down to the medium or low setting after it is up and running. The paint needs to cure and this will speed up the process. I start mine on high whenever it is time to bring it back to life and let it run for an hour or so.

I don't remember mine being any more or less smokey on different settings. The first fire will probably throw more smoke because the auger tube wouldn't be as full of pellets and it could do more smoldering before enough pellets drop to really get going. I know if I have ran it out of pellets and have to hit the manual restart or whatever that button on the back by the switch is to throw some more pellets because the auger tube was not full the pot can then get too much and throw a lot of smoke.

The only way you can judge a startup sequence is let it run for an hour and shut it down and let it cool completely off and restart. If the hopper had plenty of pellets at shutdown that should be a "normal' startup

All new Quads have the same start up sequence (except the AE).

Stove always starts on High, regardless of what setting you have it on? Then, when T/C senses enough heat (forgot actual temp) it goes down to your desired heat level selection. You should be able to hear this? Especially going from start up, while in the Low heat setting.

There is gonna be smoke on start up... Sometimes pellets fall near the ignitor slot perfectly and there is No Smoke and other times, the pellets may not be close to ignitor slot and will smoke and smolder for a bit...

The High setting on the 1st fire may just be to "burn" in the stove. But it should have been for more than 15 minutes.

Hello

Many thanks for the info.
Since this is a 2005 stove I am not sure if the control box has the fix to run the exhaust fan on high during startup. I will check again.
Also I have to clean the fans.

Does anyone pull the auger and spray it with lube? It works fine but being older it may need some lubrication?

I've got a Mt. Vernon, and on startup I would say the puff of smoke it belches out is comparable to yours in the picture. However after that initial belch, there's no smoke that I can see. Probably just some light exhaust that I can't see.

All new Quads have the same start up sequence (except the AE).

Stove always starts on High, regardless of what setting you have it on? Then, when T/C senses enough heat (forgot actual temp)
300::F for green light, 600::F for red light. Stove automates after red light is achieved

300::F for green light, 600::F for red light. Stove automates after red light is achieved

Thanks Scott....

FWIW Don, all the newer stoves start on high.

Best way to check is stand next to stove and turn it to Low. Then turn up T-stat (call for heat). Stove will ramp up and begin start up sequence, within a few seconds, turn stat back down (shut down/no call for heat), the stive will then go to the Low setting you had it on. Turn stat back up and combustion blower ramps back up, turn stat down, back to low.

The sound is very noticeable.

I have the Castile which is the same stove with a different appearance. After the first few lights you can light the stove on whatever setting you wish. The thermostat will call for heat and the control box controls ignition and after certain temps are met it will slow down to the medium or low setting after it is up and running. The paint needs to cure and this will speed up the process. I start mine on high whenever it is time to bring it back to life and let it run for an hour or so.

I don't remember mine being any more or less smokey on different settings. The first fire will probably throw more smoke because the auger tube wouldn't be as full of pellets and it could do more smoldering before enough pellets drop to really get going. I know if I have ran it out of pellets and have to hit the manual restart or whatever that button on the back by the switch is to throw some more pellets because the auger tube was not full the pot can then get too much and throw a lot of smoke.

The only way you can judge a startup sequence is let it run for an hour and shut it down and let it cool completely off and restart. If the hopper had plenty of pellets at shutdown that should be a "normal' startup

Hi countryboymo

Can you please check pics 3 and 4 in my new post of the hopper blocking plate and tell me if your stove is set the same?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadrafire-santa-fe-auger-servicing-any-tips.88577/
Thanks

Hi countryboymo

Can you please check pics 4 and 5 in my new post of the hopper blocking plate and tell me if your stove is set the same?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadrafire-santa-fe-auger-servicing-any-tips.88577/
Thanks
Don, the feed plate should be set to your installation and pellet.....

There is no "one size fits all" with the plate. Its designed to be set by the end user, to control Max Flame Height. Running the stove on High, you want a flame thats 4"-6" above the top of the pot. Depending on the pellet length, density, and several installation factors (vent run, restrictions, etc) the plate should be adjusted by the end user (you). To prevent overfiring the stove.

It was the same way with the Classic Bay you had and will be the same with any Castile, Santa Fe, or Classic Bay in the future. Every installation is different and no two will really be the same. So please set accordingly (in the manual).

A lot of smoke at start up causes:

Too much fuel at start up (close fuel gate and retry) or not enough air (crud in the works clean stove and venting, remember horizontal venting must be up bubble), bad igniter (or position), over length venting (check and correct any EVL issues), bad gaskets (air not flowing where it should be), a weak (perhaps dirty) combustion fan, need I go on?

A lot of smoke at start up causes:

Too much fuel at start up (close fuel gate and retry) or not enough air (crud in the works clean stove and venting, remember horizontal venting must be up bubble), bad igniter (or position), over length venting (check and correct any EVL issues), bad gaskets (air not flowing where it should be), a weak (perhaps dirty) combustion fan, need I go on?

Hi Smokey

Everything was clean except the room blower and exhaust blower, so I cleaned them yesterday and I will try again.
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...eet-metal-screws-in-their-pellet-stove.88582/
Thanks

I think it's 200 degrees and 600. ;)

Correct tjnamtim

Page 38 of the Santa Fe owner's manual ! ! !
1. Control Box
a. The control box is located on upper right side of
appliance, behind the right side panel and above the
vacuum switch.
b. There is a light located inside of the control box. The
internal light will turn green when the appliance has
reached a temperature of 200oF (93°C) in the firepot.
and will turn red when it reaches 600oF (315°C).
c. There is also an internal blue light located in the upper
left corner of the control box. When you plug in the
appliance the blue light will automatically start blinking
6 times in a row for 60 seconds and then will stop.

Thanks Scott....

FWIW Don, all the newer stoves start on high.

Best way to check is stand next to stove and turn it to Low. Then turn up T-stat (call for heat). Stove will ramp up and begin start up sequence, within a few seconds, turn stat back down (shut down/no call for heat), the stive will then go to the Low setting you had it on. Turn stat back up and combustion blower ramps back up, turn stat down, back to low.

The sound is very noticeable.

Hey Dexter

I fired it up last night with the heat setting on Low. After going thru the start-up cycle, the combustion fan went down to low. I could hear the difference!

So it has the latest control box and no CSS cold start syndrome! Thanks

Reactions: DexterDay
Sorry for the slow response. Mine is the same Don. I have never pulled the auger out to lube anything in the 3 seasons I have had it but I am probably going to pull the combustion motor and see about putting new bearings in it a long with cleaning and blasting the slag out of the burn pot. I wish I had a bigger stove but after the basement is insulated it will be plenty big and I purchased it for emergency heat and basement heat. I did run a couple tons through it winter before last because it was so cold. I really enjoy sitting in front of it after being outside all day freezing my butt off.

Sorry for the slow response. Mine is the same Don. I have never pulled the auger out to lube anything in the 3 seasons I have had it but I am probably going to pull the combustion motor and see about putting new bearings in it a long with cleaning and blasting the slag out of the burn pot. I wish I had a bigger stove but after the basement is insulated it will be plenty big and I purchased it for emergency heat and basement heat. I did run a couple tons through it winter before last because it was so cold. I really enjoy sitting in front of it after being outside all day freezing my butt off.

Thanks for your reply.
I did pull the auger and gave it some lube.
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadrafire-santa-fe-auger-servicing-any-tips.88577/#post-1150293

Also cleaned exhaust blower and replace the rusty metal screws with stainless steel screws that held it in!
See pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ews-in-their-pellet-stove.88582/#post-1153247

Status
Not open for further replies.