quads,this is for you!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
As I was hauling this in,I thought 'where have I seen this before?';)

Cutting more deadfall Red/Black Oak with a little White & Bur yesterday.Found a decent amount (roughly 1 p/u load total) at or near bottom of very steep hill next to now dry creek bed.1 large draw runs through the 10 acres,very steep hills on parts of either side of it for a few hundred feet.Had to park tractor at top of hill on trail like usual,then carry it ALL up about 100 ft where it was located.A couple of the biggest sticks were close to 100lbs each. !!!

Was pressed for time like usual,this was still faster than getting the 12 V winch set up and/or using pickup w/ cables,log chains,come-a-long etc....

Dang my legs were burning last night though.... :p I need to get back on a job that's all climbing ladders/scaffolding. Yeah uh huh. ;lol

LOL that last pic - what's that old saying? "Don't mind the mule,load the wagon" ;lol
Stay safe out there,brother.:cool:

Attachments

• PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 181
  • PICT0028.JPG
    PICT0028.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 180
  • PICT0036.JPG
    PICT0036.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT0034.JPG
    PICT0034.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 188
Thistle..thats exactly the way me and a bud get our wood out of a 100 acre plus boy scout reservations that backs up to his property.
Nothing wrong with a green mule !;lol She's pulled out 5 chords of downed oak this past 3 weeks.

Reactions: Thistle
Thistle..thats exactly the way me and a bud get our wood out of a 100 acre plus boy scout reservations that backs up to his property.
Nothing wrong with a green mule !;lol She's pulled out 5 chords of downed oak this past 3 weeks.

On those steep slopes & tight areas,it goes places that full size pickup cant get near.Its a '75 w/ 10HP Kohler,last year of production & the heaviest model of the series @775 lbs,built like a tank.Plenty of power,just lacks traction when ground is wet,muddy or icy.Hope to get chains for it someday,until then I do as much as possible when I have free time & ground is dry.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Sounds like nice country to work on wood, but tough. Nice pics. I never get tired of looking at everyones wood work stations. Always full of ideas. Be well

Nice! HA! Although, if it were me, I think I'd drop the mower deck off of it. Or else the stumps would do it for me!

Nice! HA! Although, if it were me, I think I'd drop the mower deck off of it. Or else the stumps would do it for me!

I was just hinking the same thing...Do you need a new mower deck?:)

LOL No problem really. Any stumps I leave that are 'off the trails' are no more than 8" high.I can see them good enough to avoid them.That mower deck is a easy 1 man job removing it,takes 5 minutes tops. Last January when ground was still dry before we had any snow I was down next to NE corner of property,in a normally wet area bringing up a load of old dead semi-punky Elm for the firepit. The main powerbelt snapped (was probably 15yrs old),leaving me stranded.Had to get the GMC Z71 with log chains,tow straps etc & pull the tractor/cart several hundred feet up that steep hill over to the garage.

Once I finally got a replacement belt,its a 2 man job installing it from underneath then anchoring the mower deck back up,its about 100 lbs & I cant crawl under there & hold it by myself.Hopefully the new belt will last until I retire or get a new rig,then its not my problem anymore ;)

Reactions: quads
Thistle, it tired me out just reading about carrying those logs.

Thistle, it tired me out just reading about carrying those logs.

lol I took a good nap that afternoon,slept like a baby that night also.Took 2 Naproxen after lunch,felt pretty good rest of day.I spent almost 1/3rd of the morning 'resting' after carrying up a few,good thing I wasnt getting paid haha

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
No gym membership needed :)
Good cardio workout ;)

No gym membership needed :)
Good cardio workout ;)

I havent stepped into a gym since I was 16...But have stepped into a few other things since then unfortunately ;lol

The rig looks good Thistle! I believe the saying goes " Never mind if the horse is blind, just keep loading the wagon" :eek: No need for a gym membership for anybody who takes care of there wood needs themselves....Strange how causing some suffering while living can lead to extended life. Nothing like pouring a few hundred gallons of fresh fall oxygen through the lungs to keep that blood flow healthy.

" Don't let that diesel sit and idle...it's gotta be working to stay alive!"

Status
Not open for further replies.