Quartering rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clearblue16

Jan 14, 2009
Seattle
So I have some large maple rounds I need to half or quarter in order to move...what is the consenus on using a chainsaw to crosscut like that? Is there a special chain? Is it hard on the saw? Dull quicker? Thanks!

Hi -

On good Maple, or Oak, Ash... I'll just whack a couple wedges in with a sledge and they pop wide open. On 'bad' stuff - that which is knarly, twisted, etc.... I will cut them. It does'nt seem to be a big deal. It is slow. I sharpen a stroke or so per tooth after most tanks of fuel so I'm not sure if it dulls quicker or not. It sure is easier and safer loading smaller/lighter chuncks!

Since I got a splitter I'm thinking I may drag it to the site and split larger stuff in the verticle mode.... I rarely drive more than a mile or so for a tree.

ATB,
Mike P

Lay the round so the bark is on the ground, then start cutting through the bark on the top of the round. It's called noodling after the long noodle like chips your saw will throw out. Occasionally while cutting carefully pull the saw away from the round so the rats nest like noodles can fall to the ground. It's surprisingly easy to cut as long as you let the saw do the cutting and not try and force it with the spiked bumpers.

savageactor7 said:
Lay the round so the bark is on the ground, then start cutting through the bark on the top of the round. It's called noodling after the long noodle like chips your saw will throw out. Occasionally while cutting carefully pull the saw away from the round so the rats nest like noodles can fall to the ground. It's surprisingly easy to cut as long as you let the saw do the cutting and not try and force it with the spiked bumpers.

What he said.

And, it helps to have a longer bar so you can keep the saw away from the wood which helps the noodles clear out easier. Just keep an eye on the saw and if it starts to clog, stop the saw right away and clear out the noodles.

"Noodling" is the best way to go if you have to cut a round lengthways, it is probably easier on the saw than normal cutting as long as you don't let the noodles clog up the saw. It also helps if the saw is longer than the log, although even if you can only get partially through it, you shouldn't have a problem sticking a wedge in the crack and busting the log open the rest of the way.

Another use for noodling is if you have a log that is bigger than your saw can cut through straight... Noodle along the top of the log as deep as you can, and then either do the same thing along the side of the log and make a cross cut to give you sections, or you can skip the side cut and break out the sections w/ a wedge. This is a slow method, but it will let you cut up some really big rounds with a little saw if you have to...

Gooserider

Before committing to a full-scale noodle, I'll often plunge cut into the face of the round, somewhat nearer to the edge, a few inches deep. Just enough to get a wedge well in place, and then take a few whacks at it. Sometimes that's all it takes to get it apart and if not, you've only lost a minute or so for trying.

clearblue16 said:
So I have some large maple rounds I need to half or quarter in order to move...what is the consenus on using a chainsaw to crosscut like that? Is there a special chain? Is it hard on the saw? Dull quicker? Thanks!

From my 17 cords this year, I only had to use my saw about 3 or 4 times to help me split. I stood the piece on its end, cut part way down (1/4 to 1/2 way) and then used the wedge to pop it open. I agree its slow cutting in this direction. I've never tried the noodling technique.
Everything else I split I was able to do it with the maul and/or wedge.
Happy burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.