Queen Mary in port

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
I was dropping of my sailboat in the yard of the sailing place - when I noticed this ship in Newport harbor which looked pretty big. I immediately thought "must be the Queen Mary".

Well, I looked up the schedule and sure enough....there it is........quite a nice ship!

Attachments

• qm1.jpg
    qm1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 520
  • qm2.jpg
    qm2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 544
Your title caught my eye: A little different "Queen Mary" than the QM my father sailed on (military transport) on his way to England during WWII. :)

Shari

Gee Craig. One would need a compass to find his way around that thing. It is huge!

No wonder X number of people going missing on cruises every year! That's a lot of boat.

Nice ship but what caught my eye was the size of the daggerboard on that catamaran. That must be fun to pull up.

RMS Queen Mary is rather permanently berthed in Long Beach.

That would be QM2.

I've done a transatlantic and the Fall cruise to Canada on her.
When they fire up all the engines and both gas turbines she can MOVE.
Dining in a tux watching the water go by the window at almost 35mph is unique.

There are larger cruise ships, but none are like the QM2, even her sister ships pale.

What size is the smoke stack on that sucker?!

I read that the QM2 is actually a modern "ocean liner" and not a cruise ship. It was built and designed for fast passage making and not to be a floating resort like the modern cruise ships.

Yes. And it doesn't "have" to run and hide from storms like cruise ships. It's built for north atlantic seas.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.