Question about drying Oak??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Just built a 10 by 20ft wood shed open on all 4 sides for drying my precious resource. I have a pile of 3 cords split mid summer that is currently getting soaked by rain. It hasn't rained in Northern WI since about July, but now it looks like its going to rain everyday until Christmas!! My question is... Can I stack the wood in the new shed wet? Or should I wait until the wood dries out, then stack it in there. Keeping in mind this might not be until spring at this rate. lol Thanks. 8

Attachments

• Wood shed 003.jpg
    Wood shed 003.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 872
This was all I could get in there before the rain started.

Attachments

• Wood shed 012.jpg
    Wood shed 012.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 822
I'm inclined to suggest putting it in there. Rain's mostly surface moisture, which will dry off fast under the roof. Faster than not under the roof, anyway. :)

Nice shed, wish mine was that nice and built. :) I don't know why you cant go ahead and put the wood in the shed as long as its off the ground and the air can get to it. You built it to store wood and as long as some wind and not much rain or snow will get on the wood it will dry IMHO.

Shipper

I would put it in, I dont see any reason not to. The whole purpose of the shed is to dry the wood. Thats why you left the sides open. Put er in and she will dry.

Put it in the shed. Looks like a good sized roof for 3 cord- so leave LOTS of air space between rows and it will dry out that rain water quite well.

edit: nice looking shed! I needs me one a dems!

second edit: you probably read here that oak needs a long time to dry. I can't say how dry your oak is inside, but under that roof is the best place for it right now, IMO. If it hisses and bubbles, then you may have to drag a good amount in to dry indoors if possible, or mix with dry pallet wood, or hold it til next year.

eightpilot said:
Just built a 10 by 20ft wood shed open on all 4 sides for drying my precious resource. I have a pile of 3 cords split mid summer that is currently getting soaked by rain. It hasn't rained in Northern WI since about July, but now it looks like its going to rain everyday until Christmas!! My question is... Can I stack the wood in the new shed wet? Or should I wait until the wood dries out, then stack it in there. Keeping in mind this might not be until spring at this rate. lol Thanks. 8

Two items:

Nice Shed!!!!This is exactly what I have in mind for my build....maybe next year though
I woodn't be concerned with the surface moisture...get the wood under that shed and take a pic when its full...then, post in the "perfect picture"
Nice Job.

Yeah all of this wood was fresh cut by me this summer. So I won't be burning any of it until next winter. I had heard that red oak can take 12 months to dry so I am wondering if it will be ready by next year...I think it will though. 8

The shed has two compartments. 1 for next year and 1 for two years from now. Each row that is stacked 8 ft high is 128 cu ft, so 1 cord. I will be able to fit 4 cords in each side of the shed when full. Ultimately i would like to only burn wood that has seasoned for 2 full years with this setup. All my splits are cut at 22 inches so the picture is kind of deceiving, but it is 1 cord per row. Thanks for all the nice comments though...I will start stacking as soon as the rain lets up a little. Here's a closer pick at 1 cord worth of Oak.

Attachments

• Wood shed 011.jpg
    Wood shed 011.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 768
8 what does the splits sit on?? great shed.

If you split and stack red oak it does not take 12 months and it will defiantly be ready by next year.
I have cut and burned red oak in the same year I would cut it in the spring before the leafs would come on and get it split to stove size and it was ready by the beginning of the burning season.

yep it is a good looking shed and if you get 2 years out that would be great.

Nice looking shed there 8. You have the right idea about getting ahead of the game. I'm not far from you and all the Red Oak I've cut takes 1-2 years to dry out whether it's covered or not. I have 3 cords stacked out in the rain but it won't be going in the stove til 2011 so I'm not worried.

eightpilot said:
The shed has two compartments. 1 for next year and 1 for two years from now. Each row that is stacked 8 ft high is 128 cu ft, so 1 cord. I will be able to fit 4 cords in each side of the shed when full.
Looks like you should be able to fit 5 rows per side.

I run my rows the other direction so that if I don't empty one bay, I am not putting fresh wood in front of the seasoned stuff trapping it in behind.

LLigetfa,
Great post. Don't get caught with dry wood behind the wet. If you can stack from right to left with some area between you should be better off. I have the same issue, I've been stacking for next year, but the last stuff to be put on the pile is the first stuff I should be using. Maybe there is a better way, I'd love to hear.

chad3 said:
...but the last stuff to be put on the pile is the first stuff I should be using.
ummm...
The problem with last in, first out is last in hasn't sat under cover very long. You want first in, first out.

I made the same mistake the first time I laid in the wood. Somehow, I had it figured I would use the exact amount that is in one of the two bays and that I would alternate bays. It never works out that way.

You can go ahead and finish the one bay the way you started but think of running your rows the other way in the second bay.

all the sides are open so he can grab from any of the four sides. Looks like he is stacking it right to me.

That's the perfect shed for wet wood...plenty of air circulation, go ahead and stack it. Our shed is attached to the house and is completely enclosed. So only dry seasoned will go in there...no big deal since we only draw on it when were temporarily snowbound.

8' Tall stacks? you are a braver or taller man than I... anytime I stack over 5' the pile is on the ground in a couple of days... I would be placing my firewood with a hardhat if I was stacking that high.

8: Nice shed. How or what did you attached the posts to the ground with or on? Are they strapped down on poured footings? I want to build one just like yours - looks great and very functional.

Yes they're poured footings 30" deep. 6 of them in all. As for stacking fresh wood in front of the old stuff, i left the back of the shed wide open. So if I don't use all 5 cords one year then I just pull from the back of the shed first to use up the older wood. I figured that would work in theory, right? Thanks for all the great comments. It was quite a project though... especially doing the roof. Shingles were cheaper then metal, but a hell of alot of work. WOW!! At least it matches my house now with the forest green 30yr shingles... 8

Backpack09 said:
8' Tall stacks? you are a braver or taller man than I... anytime I stack over 5' the pile is on the ground in a couple of days...
I stack mine 9 feet tall but I don't leave spaces between the rows so all the rows hold each other up. Also, my woodshed has a concrete slab so its on a solid base.

Yeah I'm only leaving a 2-3 inch space between each row for a little air path. The crushed granite sets up real firm when packed down so I am not too worried about it going anywhere. First woodshed though, so we will see how it looks in the spring. 8

In the last few weeks I've been running off photos of various woodsheds as they get posted here as I have begun planning the type and size of my woodshed . . . which I hope to build in the Spring. Posted pics of sheds like this are perfect . . . thanks for posting . . . this will be helpful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.