Question about Picking up my Pacific Energy Summit tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumbertim

Nov 20, 2011
Central Illinois
I'm driving 6 hours each way to get my PC Summit Insert tomorrow. It's my first time transporting one of these inserts.
1. Is there anything that i need to take out other than the bricks from the insert?
2. I've heard the baffle is fragile, does this need to be removed?
And How?
3. Did i miss anything?
Thanks guys

Are you buying from a shop - if so, they should be able to tell you how to remove the baffle. Prolly want to take off the door to reduce weight, and anything else that comes off easily.

plumbertim said:
I'm driving 6 hours each way to get my PC Summit Insert tomorrow. It's my first time transporting one of these inserts.
1. Is there anything that i need to take out other than the bricks from the insert?
2. I've heard the baffle is fragile, does this need to be removed?
And How?
3. Did i miss anything?
Thanks guys

1. The Summit body usually comes in a wooden crate from the factory , so that should help protect the unit some what.
2. As for the bricks they normally come packaged from the maunfacturer inside the summit body & usually there ok. Taking them out when moving them in your home will take off approx 30 pounds from the weight of the stove.
3. If the Summit is an enamel color inspect the unit carefully before taking posession of it. It's baked on enamel & usually it's always is good shape , but things can happen in shipping to the dealer.
4. The baffle is Stainless Steel , it's far from fragile , there approx 30 lbs of Baffle. Mostly the only time you take out the baffle is when cleaning out your chimney.
5. Another thing to keep in mind is open the door box before taking the stove, to inspect the glass for breakage.

Just remember it's better for things to go wrong at the dealer then getting it home 6 hours away. It just makes things better for everyone.

Cheers !

plumbert said:
Well im am buying it used. so i need all the understanding that i can get.
thanks.

Main thing is watch out for the stainless steel baffle & side rails , look for warping.

Also if you look down through the 6" top flue , you'll see a nut & bolt . It's attached to a flame shield , check that for some
warping or bowing as well.

Replacement of these 3 parts can cost upwards of $500.00.

Good Luck

Take everything off/out of the insert as you can. It is HEAVY!. Take a hand truck, dolly etc.
A furniture dolly really makes things easier moving it around once you get it off the truck & in the house.
I wrestled my new one out of my truck myself, no fun, nor easy task. A couple really sturdy boards to slide it down of the bed of the truck is what I used. The rest was grunt work and soreness everywhere for a few days after.
Mark everything you take out if you want it to go back in simple and easy in the right place.
Before you install, hook up the blower and make sure it runs etc. Easier to replace while out then in. Speaking from experience there.

We moved around our 585lb T6 using a heavy duty hand truck. I covered the stove with a moving blanket, then ratchet-strapped it to the hand truck. After that moving was pretty straight-forward. Have some extra bodies there so that no one gets overloaded and hold off on the beer until after the stove is in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.