Question about probe flue thermometer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Virginia
I don't use any thermometer at all and wanna add one. My guess is a probe will give me the most accurate measurement?
I have 6" double wall stove pipe.
Do I just drill a hole for the probe... do I need to seal it in any way or will the probe itself take care of that?

I bought a Condar probe and installed per instructions on the package. Probe seals itself with a metal band and magnet.
Installation took only minutes once I worked up the courage to drill a hole in my pipe. Nothing to it at all and I couldn't drive without it now.

Drill the hole (1/4" for Condar), cut off the end of the probe (if needed, for the tip to stop in the center of the flue pipe), insert probe, take a nap.

The Condar is the one I'm about to order from Woodland Direct.
Thanks for the feedback... I was hoping it was as simple as drilling a hole.
Dan... I'm just 20 min west of you in Goochland.

I drive through the land of the Gooches on I-64, going to the cabin. Wish I had a woodstove closer!

Nothing more to add . . . others have already said . . . very simple install if you have a drill and drill bits. I think my instructions for the Condar thermometer had me drill two different sized holes . . . then you just insert the thermometer and you're set . . . no leakage due to the draft and magnet attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.