Question about smoke back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rehabbingisgreen

Sep 29, 2010
Missouri
OK hubby and I had to go out of state for a funeral a couple of weeks ago. I had to leave my two "kids" home alone. One is 21 and the other is 18. Now I instructed both of them on how to clean the ash and how to start the pellet stove with the starting fluid and lighter. I had them both watch me on a couple of occasions ans I also had them demonstrate to me they could do it. This is the first time the 18 y/o has been home alone for that long but the older had been on his own for a few months before moving back home.

So the first day we were driving I get a phone call. "MOM!, we cleaned the pellet stove ( I had them allow it to shut down so no mishaps would occur) and then we tried to start it but it went out and smoke is pouring in the house." Naturally, the oldest had the younger light it. I had no suprise there. Oh the second day we were away they called to tell me they thought they blew a fuse upstairs. Turns out it was only the strip they burned out. I had visions the entire trip of my house burning down.

Anyway I've had the stove go out on me once during lighting because I didn't get enough gel on it and I have also had the electricity go out and neither time did smoke pour into the house. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck exactly happened. Any ideas?

hmm they shut the stove down,opened the door, cleaned it and shut the door. then they opened the hopper, poured gel in, threw in a match and shut the hopper. hi 5'ed each other and then went to drink your beer.

-or-

shut down the stove. cleaned it. put 40 lbs of pellets in the firepot directly, along with some gel and shut the door. hi 5'ed each other and then left to go drink all your beer.

kids. gotta love em

As long as they cleaned up after the party you're good to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.