Question about the red headed ash boring beatle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishinpa

Oct 7, 2008
SE PA
Guys: I was part of another thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/72941/

I had a tree taken down and cut and stacked it. I just went out to look at that pile and there probably hundreds of these little bastard f'n (yes I said it) like crazy while crawling all over this pile now!

Is there something I should be doing about this? IE: Calling someone, etc?

This is next years heat, so other than spraying it down with insecticide I am wondering what I should be doing. (?)

What is that bug? Doesn't look like any EAB pics on google.

I take it back. I see now that is a red-headed ash borer beetle. It's native to the US and not as much of a threat as the EAB.

Here is a quick education: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/2008/jul/061701.htm

Including:
Adults and Firewood

Adults emerge from infested host wood, chewing 2-5 mm diameter round holes. If the insect host has been made into firewood, the adults can emerge from wood stored in the home prior to burning. Redheaded ash borer adults are seen as a nuisance since they do not lay eggs on household wood or harm occupants.

Thanks cygnus.

Does the 'handle' reference related to to Cygnus X-1, book1, book2? If so, rock on!

Indeed. Headed for the heart of Cygnus headlong into mystery. Back at ya!

I really hope you strive to live up to your handle...

------

'We will call you Cygnus, The God of balance you shall be....'

(We probably REALLY lost a lot of the folks around here)

Status
Not open for further replies.