question about UPS and generators

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosco

Oct 14, 2010
MA
Good Morning,

I am thinking about purchasing a UPS for my stove. We just upgraded to a st.croix Prescott and I want to protect it! I am thinking of buying something like this....

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...ntelligent-1000VA/dp/B000QZ3UG0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I figure the wattage should work even for startup. It seems that people do seem to think UPS's are a smart way to help protect the stove. I know this won't help if we are not home, but I am more worried about the low power (brown outs) and the quick off and on scenarios. Does this seem like a good choice?

Also, for extended power outages, we do have a coleman generator - 6875 watt. I was thinking this would help keep the power level if we needed to use that. I am kind of a newb when it comes to electricity and want to make sure I am on the right path. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

I have a cuberpower and it has been a good UPS. The display provides you with info on how much power is connected to the device on the UPS etc. I think the 600w is low and I would recommend more Watts so that you can shut it down with no power. You need to determine how many Watts the stove uses and how long it takes to shutdown. The only issue with my UPS is it made a small part of the plug back. I think some of the plastic in the UPS came off on the plug. It hasn't caused any problems though.

Status
Not open for further replies.