Question for 028 owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my replacement fan cover off ebay for my 028. It's missing a place to put a screw! My original cover had 4 screws holding it on. This one only has 3. It fits correctly and seems to work just fine. The one that is missing is bottom back. So does everybody have 3 or 4 screws on their o28 saws? I assume it to be just a date of manufacture type thing.

Are these the 4 you talking about Willis. :)
Or to I have to tread deeper.

Attachments

• o28.jpg
    o28.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 258
hard to tell from this picture, but I'm pretty sure there are only three. it's that bottom rear one that you don't have, right?

Attachments

• DSCN0805 (Large).jpg
    DSCN0805 (Large).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 181
That is what the cover looks like I got off Flea Bay. OK at least I am not out of my mind, they are available in both configurations. Anyone know why? Is it a Stihl Canada vs Stihl USA thing?

Most likely the Canadian gov't just put'in the the screws to us a little extra, that is why N of 60 and I both had one extra. :mad:

could be that, could be production years. I dunno. I looked around for SN lookups or whatnot to see when mine was made, but I came up empty handed.

Someone should start a 028 club (i suppose we could start an 0XX club for all older Stihl owners) and then we could get a nice serial number list going. that's what my Fiat buddies do. course I bet there were more Stihls than Fiats sold in NA, lol.

'berta- My 028 Super has four screws. I've been told it is an '88 or '89 model due to the chain tensioner located on the side, between the bar studs. I'm guessing it's a model year deal. S/N 216712802.

Yours must be newer then mine as my chain adj is on the front by the spikes. Is there a way to tell how old your saw is? I have always wondered as I bought it 2nd hand at a garage sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.