Question for a buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bears12th

Feb 28, 2008
Eastern Connecticut
He is looking at purchasing a fireplace insert and found this on Craigslist. Maybe the owner is part of this site? Who knows. lol

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/hsh/785697715.html

What does everyone think?

I own a Jotul 350 Winterport and love it, just right for my little house. would this be comparable? What do you think is the wood capabilities by looking at it? 2.0 cu feet? Vermont Castings....bankrupt then not bankrupt.....worry about this with a second hand stove? Do you worry that someone is getting rid of it after only 2 years, or is it just that this guy is "upgrading" to a pellet? Can anyone tell the model?

Any suggestions are helpful, not a huge issue, just wondering what you pros think.

Thanks as always for advice. My buddy thanks you in advance; guess you guys scared him off a little by the extreme knowledge you all possess. He said he didn't want to be "that" newbie, so I figured, heck...I will be that newbie.

thanks.

We were all newbies at some point. Tell him he's welcome. Whether this is a good fit will depend on the house and room.

The price is good, though the stove is not the best insert on the block. If your buddy is a patient tinkerer, he may get moderately good performance. If not, I think your buddy might be happier with a stove like yours or other insert.

Yer Buddy? Yeah sure, we hear that all the time. :lol: <just kiddin' with ya>

The stoves appearance does not show abuse. Does it have a fan?

Small winterwarm. Check to see if it needs a new catalyst, or if the seller even knows what a catalyst is? A new cat in that stove runs around $100, and can not opperate with out it.

The small Winterwarm has two fans they mount on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.