Question for Mt Vernon AE owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rschuerholz

Sep 27, 2009
MD
I had a bad expierence with some omalley pellets. I am going to be getting half a ton of either Lignetics or Hamer Hot Ones. To all of you Mt Vernon users out there, what have you found to be a better pellet between these two??

I can only tell you of two different brands I've used, they are Rocky Mtn and Lignetic(softwood). Both are good pellets but I have to say that the Ligs are above the Rockys. More heat, burns cleaner with less ash. My Mt Vernon has been been a great stove but also can a hungry appetite when it wants to. I think either of your choices according to some of the posts here are good choices. Some one else will chime in and give an opinion on Hamer Hot Ones which I can't get in ND.

rob0075 said:
I had a bad expierence with some omalley pellets. I am going to be getting half a ton of either Lignetics or Hamer Hot Ones. To all of you Mt Vernon users out there, what have you found to be a better pellet between these two??

What was the issue with the O'Malleys'?

Never burned the Lignetics, have never heard anything bad about them.

The Hamers depend on whether or not they are the premium or ultra premium. I burned both last year and the premium were terrible.

This is the second batch of pellets that have got wet prior to my purchase and I didn't find out until i was ready to use them. I don't think its the way the dealer is storing them, i think it is the bag construction. I compared the bags to other bags and the seals don't seem to be nearly as tight and strong. I know this may sound stupid but two bad expierences is enough to make me look for other pellets that are just as good if not better for the price

rob0075 said:

IMO, you should get 2-3 bags of the different brands and test burn them. Every stove and every vent set-up is different, so see what works the best in your stove set-up.

I agree with macman about getting a few bags of each to try. I have not used either of the brands you asked about either.

I haven't tried the brands you are asking about, but have bought O'Malley pellets. Only burned one bag so far to try them and they burned nice.
As far as the comment on the bags, I actually think they are bagged nicely. I transported them home and restacked on a pallet. They seem tightly sealed and the bags are fairly well made. No issues with water either.

Status
Not open for further replies.