Question for rubber roofing users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I was able to finally find some rubber roofing that came from a house that was being re-roofed but they cut it into squares that are smaller than my stacks. Do you do anything to seal where your pieces overlap or will just weighing it down suffice?

I put a short pole under where it overlaps so that water sheds away.

Do you need to weigh them down or are they heavy enough they will stay put on their own?

I use rubber to cover my wood ( no pun intended ). I weight it down with logs and bricks. Where the rubber overlaps I put a piece of wood under the lap to raise the rubber up slightly so the water runs off. Works great, was free and lasts for many years.

rubber.jpg

I can't say I've ever seen wood stacked on blocks like that (using a split to bridge the blocks). Interesting.

i just overlap them

Wet1 said:
I can't say I've ever seen wood stacked on blocks like that (using a split to bridge the blocks). Interesting.

It could have been anything. The blocks is just what I happened to have on hand.. I used some limbs I cut off my Maple trees after the ice storm here.

Cut some rebar to the width of your stack. Cut some poly pipe to the same length and slit it lengthwise. Wrap the ends of the two rubber pieces over the rebar and slip the slitted poly pipe over the works.

the answers you got are good. to conect the rubber to gether roofers use industral rubber cement..

westkywood said:
I use rubber to cover my wood ( no pun intended ). I weight it down with logs and bricks. Where the rubber overlaps I put a piece of wood under the lap to raise the rubber up slightly so the water runs off. Works great, was free and lasts for many years.

rubber.jpg

like the idea its hard to get good palets here now.

Status
Not open for further replies.