Question for the chimney sages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow&Flame

Minister of Fire
Jun 6, 2011
Central Arkansas
Right before the chimney sweep showed, I pulled the surround off the fireplace and started looking around. There was a lot of small bits of creosote that fell down from the chimney on top of the stove. The guys that showed up said it should have been cleaned out before installing the liner. After I told them that their boss had done the install they just looked at each other and said they would tell him about it. I got pics and sent them to him.

This was the response I got.

"Yes sir, Talley showed me the pictures. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. What is going on is: There was a small layer of third degree creosote in the chimney tile when the liner pipe was installed.
Third degree soot is the hard soot that doesn't come off with a brush, do to the amount of moisture in the soot. That moisture has started evaporating causing it to flake off. I think our "game plan" is continue what has been started. Sometime in January and in the summer when we clean--pull the surround and vacuum the flakes. If you want me to jot me a note to pull the surround in January, let me know. I'll be happy to come out and do that for you."

Thoughts...

Creosote on top of an insert is nothing new although obviously something that is a bit of a nuisance.

The concern of course would be, if a chimney fire were to start in the old liner that is not perfectly clean. The question becomes, how much creosote really is in there? If there is just a small bit, then I would not be very concerned. If it's a large amount, then there could be a potential problem. Without looking at what you have there, it's tough to tell. Anyway to look up next to the liner with a flashlight and mirror anywhere? How much creosote was there around and on the insert?

Is the new liner insulated? If it is insulted, that would help a bit in the event of a chimney fire starting in the new liner, and spreading to the old. Also, I'm guessing that there is no sort of block off plate?

pen

Creosote on top of an insert is nothing new although obviously something that is a bit of a nuisance.

The concern of course would be, if a chimney fire were to start in the old liner that is not perfectly clean. The question becomes, how much creosote really is in there? If there is just a small bit, then I would not be very concerned. If it's a large amount, then there could be a potential problem. Without looking at what you have there, it's tough to tell. Anyway to look up next to the liner with a flashlight and mirror anywhere? How much creosote was there around and on the insert?

Is the new liner insulated? If it is insulted, that would help a bit in the event of a chimney fire starting in the new liner, and spreading to the old. Also, I'm guessing that there is no sort of block off plate?

pen

The liner is insulated and there isnt a block off plate at the moment...didnt like the way the one I made was working so I took it out.

Pic is worth a thousand...too much?

Attachments

• S5005376.JPG
    S5005376.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 142
That does look like "3rd degree" creosote from here. IMO, that isn't an awful lot though.

Is it possible at all to get a mirror and light and peek up and around that liner at all?

I'm not convinced yet that it would be worth pulling the liner to do another cleaning.

If there was evidence of complete negligence in regards to cleaning prior to the install, and/or the liner was uninsulated, then I'd be more apt to be concerned and pull it.

But, as is, it's a tough call. You wouldn't be wrong in pulling it and having it cleaned again if you wanted to err on the side of caution.

What sort of condition was that masonry chimney in before the liner was installed? Was it sound? Any cracks?

pen

Is it possible at all to get a mirror and light and peek up and around that liner at all?
I will work on getting you some more pics of the liner and chimney.
What sort of condition was that masonry chimney in before the liner was installed? Was it sound? Any cracks?
As far as he was concerned, the chimney was in good condition with no cracks.

Thanks for the help.

If that chimney was still in working order before the liner was put in, that does help minimize the risk of a problem.

Considering your liner is insulated, I think I'd just let it be and keep on a good cleaning schedule and burn appropriately to make sure you never have a fire in your new liner in the first place. The only time that creosote outside the liner would ever pose a risk is if there were a fire in your new liner first.

Unless you look up next to that liner and find redonkulous amounts of the stuff up there, then I think I'd just keep going as is if it were my place. But, if it's not hard to access and pull that liner............

pen

If that chimney was still in working order before the liner was put in, that does help minimize the risk of a problem.

Considering your liner is insulated, I think I'd just let it be and keep on a good cleaning schedule and burn appropriately to make sure you never have a fire in your new liner in the first place. The only time that creosote outside the liner would ever pose a risk is if there were a fire in your new liner first.

Unless you look up next to that liner and find redonkulous amounts of the stuff up there, then I think I'd just keep going as is if it were my place. But, if it's not hard to access and pull that liner............

pen

When I looked up the chimney not too long before they put the liner in...I didnt see much up there at that time. I am no chimney sweep thou.
I will be trying to look up there and if at all possible post a pic for you. At this point I think it would be a bigger headache and possibly damaging
to remove the liner. I have said before that I would like to have someone else come and take a look at my setup to make sure everything was
golden...now seems to be a good time for that...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.