Question for you about your boiler return piping.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
Do most of your boilers have one or two places to run return water piping to? If they have two, did you pipe return water to both of them or just one.

Mine has two, only planning to use one of them.

One

One return line port with a secondary "temperature conditioning mix line" to prevent too cool of water being introduced to the main flow in the boiler to reduce the possibility of condensation. But you have to plumb it that way if you want to use it otherwise it's just a 3/4" pipe that sticks out of each side of the boiler.

The Wood Gun has two inlet "ports" (for lack of a better term on my part) for the return water to the boiler. They are 1-1/2". We only used one of them for all return water. I wondered if it would make a difference in performance if you split the return water to both of the returns. Are they both there for convenience only? So that you can pipe to either side of the boiler depending on your situation? Would you get better circulation and possibly better heating of return water through the boiler if you plumbed return water to both? I suggested to them that maybe we should split the return and pipe to both of them but my installers did not think it would make much of a difference. Anyone with experience with a boiler that split the return water to both sides? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.