Question from newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcwi

Sep 19, 2006
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions (I had a search thru the forum but still am not sure).

I had my chimney lined with a stainless steel liner recently, terminating in the hearth with a register plate and spigot. I'd just opened up a closed-up chimney breast and removed the old solid-fuel back-boiler I found there, and made good an inglenook for a Morso 04 stove I subsequently bought and have just installed myself last week. I used vitreous enamel stove pipe to connect the stove to the chimney liner spigot. I used the thin (1/4-1/2"?) fire rope supplied with the stove to pack the lower joint and bought 10mm (sorry don't know the inches) fire rope topack the upper, looser joint. I then used fire cement in a caulk type cartridge to finish off the joins.

When I lit it for the first time it caught well and quickly established a good fire.

But last night I tried it and after ten mins or so I noticed thin smoke issuing from somewhere around the top of the stove at a good rate. I experimented with the fire draught control to no avail and opened windows at either end of the room to ventilate.

So finally! here are my questions...

Was this caused by downdraught? I was sure I had made a pretty good fist of jointing the stove pipe that there shouldn't be smoke issuing, certainly not at the rate it was (almost as fast as from an open fire, it seemed). The liner guys fitted a rain cowl to the chimney pot - I don't know if that would help or hinder the draught.

What can I do about that if it is downdraught?

Sorry for the lengthy spiel but I'm a newcomer to all this so an unsure of how to proceed!

Thanks.

BarryMcW said:
Hello all.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a couple of questions (I had a search thru the forum but still am not sure).

I had my chimney lined with a stainless steel liner recently, terminating in the hearth with a register plate and spigot. I'd just opened up a closed-up chimney breast and removed the old solid-fuel back-boiler I found there, and made good an inglenook for a Morso 04 stove I subsequently bought and have just installed myself last week. I used vitreous enamel stove pipe to connect the stove to the chimney liner spigot. I used the thin (1/4-1/2"?) fire rope supplied with the stove to pack the lower joint and bought 10mm (sorry don't know the inches) fire rope topack the upper, looser joint. I then used fire cement in a caulk type cartridge to finish off the joins.

When I lit it for the first time it caught well and quickly established a good fire.

But last night I tried it and after ten mins or so I noticed thin smoke issuing from somewhere around the top of the stove at a good rate. I experimented with the fire draught control to no avail and opened windows at either end of the room to ventilate.

So finally! here are my questions...

Was this caused by downdraught? I was sure I had made a pretty good fist of jointing the stove pipe that there shouldn't be smoke issuing, certainly not at the rate it was (almost as fast as from an open fire, it seemed). The liner guys fitted a rain cowl to the chimney pot - I don't know if that would help or hinder the draught.

What can I do about that if it is downdraught?

Sorry for the lengthy spiel but I'm a newcomer to all this so an unsure of how to proceed!

Thanks.

Hi Barry, Welcome.

It's a little challenging for me to understand exactly what you are saying. Your terminology is not like we normally use. I'm thinking you may be in Europe? Anyway, it sounds like you are seeing the curing process. For the first few hot fires it is normal to see some smoke from the curing of the paint, etc. After about one hour it should stop. The smell may linger longer.

If you are seeing actual wood smoke from the exhaust, I would suggest there may be a blockage or some other draft issue that needs to be resolved.

Sean

Thanks for the reply, Sean. You're right, I'm in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

That's good to know - the manufacturer stated nothing about it in the literature bundled with the stove, but now that you've said it, it seems natural there would be some curing of the finish. I was also wondering if my room was too airtight as first time I lit the fire and had no problems I kept the room door ajar. Something to watch for I suppose!

Thanks again

Barry

Welcome to the Forum Barry. Good to see you participating here. Experiences in wood burning from people from all over the world would be a great thing here.

Please drop in and update us on how your new stove and installation are working for you and what you learn along the way.

Pictures for the Picture part of the Forum would be appreciated by all.

BB

Status
Not open for further replies.