question on chimney draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
I have a basement (family room) install on my harmon. This is my 3rd season. The house is a bi level. I have the top vent option into a ceramic thimble. It is open from there. My question comes as I get ready to clean the chimney now that it isn't raining, wet or windy and cold this week.

The outside cleanout is about a foot below the thimble. During the install I was directed to put insulation in the cleanout area to stop any air coming in thru the cleanout door. The Chimney is about 20 feet or so and I have always had a good draft by doing this, I was wondering if it is necessary to do? I have a piece of metal about 8" right at the top of the cleanout drop (again about a foot below the thimble), then the insulation to keep out the air.

T
[ ]
[ ]
[ ]
Pipe== ]
[ ]
[ (cleanout door)
[ ]

Status
Not open for further replies.