Question on cylinder size for DIY honda powered splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeaster1

Oct 10, 2008
Nova Scotia
The father-in-law and I are going to build a splitter in the next couple of months. We usually rent one from a friend of his. It may seem small, compared to the talk here, but there is nothing it hasn't been able to split, and the two-stage pump only kicks in if you get into some narly, twisted stuff, or a big knot.

the rental one has a:
- honda 5 hp
- john barnes 2 datge pump (I believe about 11gpm)
- 3.5" cylinder with 1/5" rod, 24" long.

As we already have a 4 hp honday engine we can use, we are planning on just getting the same size pump and cylinder, as the one we have been renting. I realize they say you need 5 - 6hp for an 11gpm pump, but our experience with it says that the 5 hp honda is only running about mid-way (or less) between idle and full throttle, so we figure that the 4hp should be fine, with the engine revving a bit higher.

Any problems with our thinking?

I am sure the cycle time would be faster with a bigger pump, and engine etc but the 4hp is free, and the rental one seems fast enough for us.

We are planning to make it horizontal only (have strong back / weak mind and a wood hauler with lift for the really big stuff) and I like working at waist level, with the side tables.

I wouldnt go any bigger than a 4x24x2 cylinder. Any more than that with a 11gpm and your looking at long cycle times.

Yes, as mentioned I will likely buy the same type / dimensions of cylinder that is on the rental one we have used a few times. It is 3.5 x 24 x 1.5 and seems to split anything we can find. Cycle time on it is acceptable, but like you say, I would not want to go bigger, and slower, unless I went with a bigger pump. (and engine). Where the father-in-law has a honda 4hp just sitting there, and we have been happy with the rental unit's performance, I think this will do us.

Status
Not open for further replies.