question on install specs for a raised hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey I have been working the past couple of days on my fireview install, and my goal was to install this stove on a raised hearth pad, when everthing is said and done my hearth pad will be abount 15 inches off the floor. the only problem with my hearth pad is that it sticks out so far in the room and my wife does not like it , so i was wondering by having the stove raised so high from a combustible surface could a man shorten the hearth pad a little? I have already torn out the back wall removed the drywall and wood studs, replaced it with metal studs a layer of 1/2in cement board and put another layer of cement board with a 1inch air space between the two layers this will allow me to get the back of the stove 12inches from the wall using double wall pipe. why does this stove have such huge clearance issues it seems like overkill to me. they are steel stoves out on the market with closer clearances. I love this stove and want to use but having a hearth pad big enough for a equinox and putting such a small stoveit just looks funny. if this stove puts off a soft heat and not a blast you out the house kind of heat. I 'am going to shorten the pad little to help the looks of the install. so what do you fireview owners think will this work I really cannot see were this would be a fir hazard.

IMHO -- and experience, the embers will travel further with a raised stove. Don't skimp on any of the tolerances especially the front of stove to front of hearth dimension. Unless you like the looked of burned carpet, or hardwood floors. Plus you will sleep better at night not wondering if the walls are going to ignite.

Your local inspector will determine the interpretation of the clearances, a phone call will save you a lot of costs and trouble.

As well, if and when you try to sell the home, and the home inspector picks up the issues you created, good luck.

"Measure twice, cut once, and buy the stove that fits your home once."

My own stove had very tight clearances . . . one reason my wife liked this stove . . . but even then I opted to go out a few inches more than the minimum . . . lets me sleep better at night knowing that not only did I meet the manufacturer's safe operating clearances . . . I actually met and exceeded those clearances. There are some things I would not skimp on or cut corners and when it comes to woodstoves this is one of those things . . . regardless of whether or not you have an inspector or insurance agent inspect the stove after the install.

On the flip side . . . I hear ya RidgeRunner . . . the one thing my wife was concerned about was the hearth jutting into our living space and taking "away" the space . . . however, after awhile you get used to working around the hearth and I find that sometimes I wish I had built it larger so I could lay right beside the stove like my cats . . . plus a larger hearth offers a place for your stove poker, tongs, shovel, etc. . . . and when it is built right and looks good it becomes a nice focal point of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.