Question on my UPS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 Werker Type 31MDC batteries and run a 400 watt inverter from it.
I bought a Sunforce 60 watt solar setup to charge it.

The batteries are 3 years old now and I'm not getting a recharge from my panels.

I've tested my panels for voltage and they're all producing.
I'm assuming, with the battery draw, I should be able test amperage???

That was the first question.

I charged up the batteries with my car charger (6amp) and got them to 100%.
Just hooked them up again (to check them) and found them at 50%.

The panels should be giving me 5amps (optimal I realize)..

I'm thinking the batteries need to be re-conditioned.
Can they?
Are they just old (3 years)?

Maybe I'm bleeding back voltage... panels?, inverter?

Do I just have the wrong batteries?

Oh ya.... Are this panels the problem?

Don't know those specific batteries, but batteries are usually the first to go. Assuming they are lead-acid, 3yrs is no big deal if they were properly charged and floated the entire time. If they were stored near discharged for any period of time they are likely shot.

To test the panels, read open circuit voltage and short circuit amps, they should match the specs on the panel.

Edit: Looked up the batteries...they are gel-type. IIRC gel type cannot be reconditioned.

I agree, gel cells have a 2 to 3 year life span. Lead acids can be ruined in 6 months but if treated properly and equalized on occasion will last 10 years. If you want a "forever" battery nickel iron batteries will last a lifetime, but have singificant limitations.

Werker is the industry standard for UPS batteries. I "have" had them go bad in 3 years, but typically they will run for 4 or 5. They do not deal with mistreatment well. They like to stay charged unless in use. Do not allow them to sit partially discharged. You should be able to measure amperage from your panels. At a peak of 5 amps, these should really not have a problem. There is usually very little vampire power involved with UPS. A little, but not much.

Arrived home in the daylight today and checked on my panels.
To my disappointment, 3 panels seem to be down...
Since there are only 4 to this setup... quite a loss...

I checked them this past spring and all were working fine.

Cleaned the contacts, nothing...
Cut off the plug-in and tested from the wire... nothing...

I'll be heading out there to remove one of the bad ones and open her up to test from the panel itself.
Since I'm well past warranty, can't see the hurt in trying.

With only 4 years with the panels, I just have a hard time believing the panel is bad.
Hoping it's the wires or connection to the panels.

Which leads me to the question.

I've tried to solder wires to other panels I have and can't seem to do it right (won't stick)
I also tried conductive epoxy, but found it to corrode fairly quickly (couple of months)

What do you recommend make the connection?

olddawgsrule said:

When soldering, are you sure that the area to be soldered does not have a coating on it? Fine sand paper, pull a strip off, lay it across the end of the eraser on a pencil and scuff the area to be soldered. Use non-corrosive flux. Solder should stick.

Jags said:
olddawgsrule said:

When soldering, are you sure that the area to be soldered does not have a coating on it? Fine sand paper, pull a strip off, lay it across the end of the eraser on a pencil and scuff the area to be soldered. Use non-corrosive flux. Solder should stick.

Also - be sure that when you solder that the surface you are soldering to is getting hot - the solder should flow onto it. Heat the surface and touch the cold solder onto it and it should melt and flow. Don't touch the solder to your iron and drip it onto the surface to solder.

I've seen people heat the wire to be soldered and 'stick' it onto a cold contact and it won't stick.

Note, however, that you don't want to spend a long time heating the surface - it has to be a quick heat of just the area you are soldering to avoid heating areas you don't want to and causing damage.

Slow1 said:
Also - be sure that when you solder that the surface you are soldering to is getting hot - the solder should flow onto it.

Yep - its called "tinning".

Appreciate the response!

I have a 100/140watt soldering iron.
Is this strong enough?

It is an 'older Weller' and hopefully putting out what it should...
Okay, so it was my Dad's, but I did say older...

I'm not having much luck with it.
Thinking I may need a new one.

What would you recommend?

Just dissected the first bad panel.
23g wire on it.

My other project panels I was trying to solder 17g wire it them.
My theory was, if I'm running 17g to the house, then 17g on the panel.

Unless told not to, I'll probably solder the 17g wire to repair the Sunforce panel.
Yes, that means the panel is not bad, Whoa!
I have voltage at the panel (not at the wires).
The solder joint must have broke and it wasn't even mine, it was the factory's.
Man do I feel better.

olddawgsrule said:
23g wire on it.

Unless told not to, I'll probably solder the 17g wire to repair the Sunforce panel.
Man do I feel better.

Just wondering if you iron is the type that is shaped like a gun?? If so, be very careful, you can overheat anything that is sensitive pretty darn easy with those. Its kinda like bringing a sledge hammer to pound in a finish nail.

Jags said:
olddawgsrule said:
23g wire on it.

Man do I feel better.

Just wondering if you iron is the type that is shaped like a gun?? If so, be very careful, you can overheat anything that is sensitive pretty darn easy with those. Its kinda like bringing a sledge hammer to pound in a finish nail.

Yes it is!
I also have one that I call 'single tipped' like a pencil or wood burning tool.
Have a feeling you're going to tell me to get a new tip and use that one...

I'll check the wattage on it... should be 100 watts??

olddawgsrule said:

Nope - that will probably be between 35-60 watts (depending on model/make). It really should be all that you need. You using flux?? If not, you should be (non corrosive stuff).

Jags said:
olddawgsrule said:

Nope - that will probably be between 35-60 watts (depending on model/make). It really should be all that you need. You using flux?? If not, you should be (non corrosive stuff).

Will be this time for sure!
I'll pick that up with the new tip.

Thank you for the input!

olddawgsrule said:
Jags said:
olddawgsrule said:

Will be this time for sure!
I'll pick that up with the new tip.

Thank you for the input!

Yep - I have been micro/mini certified all the way up to leading in body work. Got a few T-shirts.

Forgot to ask...

Stay with the 23g off the panel or up to the 17g wire?

Short distance for these panels, 15 feet.

olddawgsrule said:
Forgot to ask...

The 17Ga is gonna be sturdier - BUT - 17GA is much more stiff and can put pressure on whatever you are soldering to. If this is something like a copper run on a circuit board, you may consider sticking with the small stuff. If this is a solder lug that you are attaching to, the 17 (typically it would be 16 or 18 - wire is of even sizes) will work just fine.

Note: and your 23GA is gonna be either 22 or 24 GA.

Jags said:
olddawgsrule said:
Forgot to ask...

The 17Ga is gonna be sturdier - BUT - 17GA is much more stiff and can put pressure on whatever you are soldering to. If this is something like a copper run on a circuit board, you may consider sticking with the small stuff. If this is a solder lug that you are attaching to, the 17 (typically it would be 16 or 18 - wire is of even sizes) will work just fine.

Note: and your 23GA is gonna be either 22 or 24 GA.

You're better at gauging my wire, that's for sure!
I'm using my micrometer and averaging the measurement, then going to the conversion chart to get close....

It's not 'lugged' so looks like I'll use the smaller wire to come off the panels into the house.
I am working on a control panel to show me voltage/wattage (yet another project) and will come off that with the larger gauge wire (once set up).
Still not certain where the batteries will find there final resting area (yes, yet another project) and may need the larger wire to travel the distance.

Once again, thank you!

Have the first of the 3 panels repaired!
It was the solder joint (from the factory) that failed.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Ya, I have yet another question...

It has always been my understanding that the array only works as good as it weakest point.
With the 3 bad panels off the array, the batteries came up today.
This enforces my belief.
One good panel is better than 1 good and 3 bad.

True?

If so, then adding one of my 'project panels' (11 watt) to this array (15watt) would reduce the production?
15 watt x 4 = 60 watt
11 watt x 5 = 55 watt

I figure there are a 1,000 other principals involved here that I have no idea of...
But is the basic principal correct?

You may want to consider posting on another forum such as http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/ as there are folks there who really do this sort of thing day in and day out (much like folks here know their wood and stoves).

series or parallel? diodes?

Slow1 said:
You may want to consider posting on another forum such as http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/ as there are folks there who really do this sort of thing day in and day out (much like folks here know their wood and stoves).

I will check them out.

woodgeek said:
series or parallel? diodes?

Panels and batteries are wire in parallel to increase amp and hold voltage.
Panels are not diode protected, but the charge controller is.

The array panels enter a junction, then single wire to the charge controller.

I figure with this setup I have no 'bleed back' from the battery, but could have effect from a dead panel.

I'm working on a control panel to independently monitor each panel.
Probably not the right place for this question, but I'll go for it.

I will add a blocking diode for each panel to avoid this problem again.
I'm assuming I only need to add it to the negative side (return side of power)??

Status
Not open for further replies.