Question on passive heat loss

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunky1

Feb 20, 2008
Deepfreeze MN
Hi All,

Have a question regarding heat loss via an uninsulated storage area in basement. When doing my footings for the porch entry to my house, I opted to dig deeper and make a root cellar. The root cellar is about 5' x 18' x about 8' high. Never really planned on burning wood, but then never planned on paying $2.30/gallon propane either. I recently purchased an England 28-3500 add-on wood stove to connect directly to my existing forced air. My question--how much heat will I lose to the uninsulated 12" block walls surronding the room? Did'nt really plan on getting much heat from radiance, but will the room create a negative draw? The rest of the basement is insulated fairly well, (2" Styro +4" batt), I could bring the unit inside the basement, but reallt thought it would be nice to contain mess inside the isolated room. (Big selling point to the Ministry of Finance, she's not real keen on bugs cohabitating in her office directly across from existing gas furnace). As always in questions, comments or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx Todd, Very helpful. No sense in trying to weasel out of insulating, will get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.