Question on Simplifiest Pressurized Storage Design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgschwend

Jul 13, 2009
PNW
www.sawmillservice.com
Nofoss...,

I continue to look at your design and was wondering about the location of the pump for the loads. Why not put the pump in the return side?

Also, why have a small expansion tank on the sources when you have one on the storage?

Thanks for the help

sgschwend said:
Nofoss...,

I continue to look at your design and was wondering about the location of the pump for the loads. Why not put the pump in the return side?

Also, why have a small expansion tank on the sources when you have one on the storage?

Thanks for the help

The pump could just as well be on the return side - makes no difference. I like to have multiple expansion tanks in case one or more components (such as storage) have to be isolated. It's not a requirement., but I think of subsystems that are self-contained.

For the reasons stated by Nofossil I actually have three expansion tanks. I have two to accomodate my storage tanks and one small one mounted on my primary loop. I have my system plumbed in such a way that I can run without the storage if I wanted to. In this case my storage expansion tanks are essentially cut-off from the system and my small tank is there to take care of the boiler and primary loop. Seems to work pretty well...

Status
Not open for further replies.