question on stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flh69

Jan 2, 2007
I have a Timberline woodstove with an 8" outlet. I ran 8" pipe up about 4 feet to where it goes thru the wall.
Where it goes thru the wall there is a 6" metalbestos thimble which obviously reduces the stove pipe to 6". My chimney has an 8"x8" flue. I know it should be 8 inches the complete run but unfortunately it is not. I've been burning this thing for years like this & I do have a creosote problem at the thimble so I know to keep it cleaned (twice a year). The stove drafts very well.
I will need to replace the stove pipe next year & was wondering if I would be better off to reduce the pipe to 6" where it comes off the stove?

Having the reducer on the vertical leg may help, but the stove should not be choked down. A better solution would be to replace the old timer with a modern stove while the tax credit is in place.

If you don't want to shell out for a new stove, how about replacing the 6" thimble with 8"? Rick

fossil said:
If you don't want to shell out for a new stove, how about replacing the 6" thimble with 8"? Rick
I've thought of that but the way the thimble is integrated with the chimney, it could result in replacing the chimney. That is why I was wondering if I'd be better off reducing it at the stove.
As stated in my previous post, I've been using it like this for years so maybe it's best left alone.

If it works, I would just leave it alone. I'd also scrounge and save all year for a new stove. Get the stove in December so you'll get the refund back a couple of months after. You can get a decent EPA certified stove like and Englander for $1500 or so. Slap it on a credit card and pay back a chunk on the card with the refund

Status
Not open for further replies.