Question Regarding Softwood Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pel-Man

Jul 17, 2012
I am new to the idea of pellets. From browsing the various sources I am under the assumption that softwood pellets are a superior product over hardwood pellets. Is that right? What is the boards opinion on southern yellow pine as a pellet fuel? It seems to have one of the highest btu's in the industry. Thanks for the help!

We manufacture pellet stoves and throughout the years of testing various fuel can vouch for the fact high-quality pellets have a slightly higher BTU content. This is partly due to the resins found in softwood which acts as a fire accelerant. They typically also have a lower ash content.

I think each pellet will have its fans and its detractors, it really depends on your stove and your experience with a particular brand and type of pellet. I have always used a hardwood and was considering a softwood pellet, but some people mentioned that softwood pellets tend to feed at a higher rate than softwood pellets which would mean that a bag won't last as long as you want. You'll get good heat, but you may go through more bags than if you used a hardwood pellet. Again, some will agree and some will disagree. I just know that I have had good luck with a hardwood pellet (Hamers in particular). I think others will agree that if you are new to this it would be best to buy a mix of a couple different brands/types to determine which works best for you in your particular stove. There is also a 'shoulder season' which some, including me, tend to buy a lower quality pellet (lower $$ too) to burn during the fall and late winter / early spring when the temps are a bit milder than Jan/Feb. Best of luck.

i'd say the "process" is the important factor....you can start with any wood fiber you want, but if you dont have a good process, your pellets will suffer. All things being equal, if you have a company that is dilligent in the manufacturing of pellets, there may be a slight advantage to softwoods vs. hardwoods, but its not like the difference between chopped liver and prime rib.

Reactions: save$
...softwood pellets tend to feed at a higher rate than softwood pellets which would mean that a bag won't last as long as you want. You'll get good heat, but you may go through more bags than if you used a hardwood pellet. Again, some will agree and some will disagree....

Depends on the stove. This is not true with Harman stoves that have the ESP. Read this thread....
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-distribution-air-temp-differences-between-pellets.78228/

some people mentioned that softwood pellets tend to feed at a higher rate than softwood pellets which would mean that a bag won't last as long as you want. You'll get good heat, but you may go through more bags than if you used a hardwood pellet.
Sorry for butting in but that is pretty much a myth...The only way this would be possible is if the pellets were smaller. Physically it is impossible for an auger turning at a specified RPM to go faster just because you are feeding a different pellet. The only variable is the pellet size.

Assuming any particular pellet is 1/2 size of another brand you are used to, you will experience a BTU boost because more pellets (total weight & volume) will fill the auger. If that happens you will probably feel too warm and reduce your feed rate anyway in which case your overall usage will stay the same.

Makes sense?

We have dealers who sell a couple dozen different brands of pellets and their experience is softwood pellets are the best. That's what they use in their own house.

Reactions: smoke show
Sorry for butting in but that is pretty much a myth...The only way this would be possible is if the pellets were smaller. Physically it is impossible for an auger turning at a specified RPM to go faster just because you are feeding a different pellet. The only variable is the pellet size.

Assuming any particular pellet is 1/2 size of another brand you are used to, you will experience a BTU boost because more pellets (total weight & volume) will fill the auger. If that happens you will probably feel too warm and reduce your feed rate anyway in which case your overall usage will stay the same.

Makes sense?

We have dealers who sell a couple dozen different brands of pellets and their experience is softwood pellets are the best. That's what they use in their own house.

Yep... I agree.. Softwood isn't gonna feed faster.

Its the size of the pellet. A smaller pellet will feed more. So a long softwood pellet will feed slower than your short Hamers (Somersets are also a fantastic Hardwood pellet/ reason for so much heat? There is lots more fuel per auger revolution).

There are good Harwoods out there. But Softwoods have a Better BTU content (per lb/ density/ etc).

Been burning hardwood primarily for the last 15 yrs and tried some yellow pine at the end of the season which seemed to do ok. I think the processing is important found that Hamers and Cubex are top quality but I do like to try other varieties.:cool:

BTUs = Good
More BTUs = Better
Hope I've cleared that up for all of ya, my work here is done ..............

Reactions: FyreBug
Been burning hardwood primarily for the last 15 yrs and tried some yellow pine at the end of the season which seemed to do ok. I think the processing is important found that Hamers and Cubex are top quality but I do like to try other varieties.:cool:

I burned 5 bags of Cubex last winter and they were the worst bags I burned all year. I can't get Hamer's but would like to try them. Looking forward to trying the MWP softies this year.

Is worst a word if it doesn't have brat or knock or liver in front of it?

You have to try everything you can get your hands on and just see what your stove likes. In softwoods, my stove likes LaCretes but doesn't like Spruce Pointes. In hardwoods, my stove likes PWI but not Cubex.

You pellet heaters are a weird bunch... ;lol

You study pros & cons of various pellets like other debate their sports team. God loves ya!

You pellet heaters are a weird bunch... ;lol

You study pros & cons of various pellets like other debate their sports team. God loves ya!

I'd say its more analagous to beer, or wine than sports...lots of "personal experiences" with pellets,beer, and wine help you to form an opinion. With sports teams...its more simple/straight forward...your teams stinks, my team rules...especially you Yankers fans out there (sorry, is required to maintain my good standing as a New Englander).

Reactions: FyreBug
I'd say its more analagous to beer, or wine than sports...lots of "personal experiences" with pellets,beer, and wine help you to form an opinion. With sports teams...its more simple/straight forward...your teams stinks, my team rules...especially you Yankers fans out there (sorry, is required to maintain my good standing as a New Englander).
Maybe a good description is pellet heaters debates pellets like others scrutinize stocks...

Softies run good in my stove. But the Nothern(cubex) burn nice also, but a little pricey.

About the only issue softies have that I have found is the "swing" from high to low on top feed stoves. Enviro is notorious for their stoves going out when the stove kicks down to low from a high burn, especially if the unit is installed with a lot of draft, like in a very tall chimney. The feed rate cuts out but the heat in the liner draws very fast. Has to do with the fact that softies burn a little bit quicker and even more so with a high draft install. This is why it is SOOOOOOOO important to set the draft the way the manual says. No one ever does it cause it takes more than an hour to do it right.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
You have to try everything you can get your hands on and just see what your stove likes. In softwoods, my stove likes LaCretes but doesn't like Spruce Pointes. In hardwoods, my stove likes PWI but not Cubex.
crazy isn't it. the same make stoves in another house may even have a different performance report. Just the way it is!

Reactions: Delta-T
Softwood pellets burn hotter and cleaner....

Again, it depends on the stove. I got no mess out of Okanagans, but no heat either. With the Spruce Pointes, I got tons of heat but the ash piled up quick. McFeeters were junk. But, LaCrete were far and away the best pellet for my stove. All of these are softwoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.