Question Regarding Venting.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I just recently purchased a USSC 6041 PT pellet stove. I have not hooked it up yet. My question is regarding the venting. I have purchased a Simpson Duravent 3" pellet vent kit. In order to vent the stove without removing a window from my house I would have to come off the "T" with a 45, then run some pipe at 45 degrees, then use another 45 when clear of the window, then continue with a standard vertical run and hood. Hopefully this makes sense. I have attached a picture of my house with the proposed vent layout that I drew in on the computer. I know its rough, but hopefully it conveys the idea. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice. I have been banging my head against the wall with this. I really don't want to have to remove a window.

Thank you,

ScottyDaug

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 298
with little info sounds ok to me, someone will be along soon to talk about your stoves EVL, why not add more vertical so the cap is above the roof line, so you dont soot up your home? Oh ya I think your exhaust exit from pipe needs to be 5 feet from a soffit or window etc

This is an acceptable way to vent the stove as long as you maintain the required horizontal distance between the termination cap and the operable window.

If you don't mind having your Tee do double duty a better way would be to use the Tee to both make the 90 degree bend and the 45 degree angle by rotating it on the end of the horizontal run from the house.

Just make certain that the clearances from the vent cap to operable windows is maintained.

Thanks for the quick replies. Great suggestion Smokey about rotating the "T", that would eliminate some additional flow restriction as well as cutting down cost.

Why not go straight up through the roof?

Eric

Eric,

The problem with going up through the roof is I'm in New England, and the house has a metal roof. The 3" pipe would get broken off easily from sliding snow.

Even on that shallow of a pitch of roof you think it would get broken? They do make a tall cone flashing boot that is for pitched roofs that would give support higher up like 10-12" up on pipe...just a suggestion!

ScottyDaug said:
Eric,

The problem with going up through the roof is I'm in New England, and the house has a metal roof. The 3" pipe would get broken off easily from sliding snow.

I think you will really enjoy your stove a bit more if you vent out the roof. The cost isn't much higher than the kit you have now and looks a helluva lot better. If I can get my images resized I will show you what a rambler looks like when the stove is vented through the roof. I get qite a bit of heat off the 6 feet of pipe that run from the stove to the ceiling inside my house and it looks real nice, IMO.

I can't see snow or ice injuring one of these pipes or the flashing that holds it up.

I agree with the other forum members....going through the roof has more advantages than disadvantages.....straight pipe = low EVL, no need to put pipe right by the front door (doesn't look good there), and the pipe costs will be less.

Status
Not open for further replies.