questionable install....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
When I moved into the house i'm renting, there was a Kodiak Insert downstairs. It's a MONSTER of a stove.

Anyway, it's put into a large masonry fireplace. I pulled the surround off and saw that there is NO PIPE running up to the damper. The damper is wired open, and the stove dumps right into the chimney.

Is this stove a huge no no to burn in? The chimney is clean, and all flue tiles are intact per the sweep that inspected it. He said he thought it was fine to burn that way, but it makes me a little nervous

Thoughts?

I burned in a large insert like that dumping right into the chimney for 21 years. The creosote situation in the fireplace smoke chamber and the chimney tiles was a pain in the butt and dangerous. Go buy that 24JC and put a liner in that chimney. For less than a grand you could have a great heat producing setup there. And zilch creosote with an an easy to clean chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.