Questions: Fast Help! May Buy Boiler Now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iBurnWood

Sep 18, 2010
Minnesota
Ok fellas!

I really need your help here and am looking for some quick answers, if you could:

I am just "really" learning about forced air and boiler furnaces. Took awhile to get around some misnomers and myths I thought about them. Now I'm ready to buy... like right now! I've been searching and searching and finally found a package deal I really like. Now I was going to skip this part, but I'll share what I mean by "package deal"...

I get the boiler, pre-fab cement slab, all the necessary components, like the line, heat exchanger, pump, etc, etc. Price includes delivery and set up of the boiler on the slab. From my studies, I'm confident that I like the price and am not complaining. I get a good warranty and internet reviews are not revealing bad things here. Let's leave it at that.

Now, here's where the question starts. I noticed this unit does not have a clean out drawer under the main fire door. In order to clean it, I'll have to shovel out the ash from the main door. There is no little door underneath so I can slide out an ash pan.

Is this cleaning process going to be a hassle? I was told I'd need to clean it out about once a week. Now I don't mind work as I've done physical labor for many years and have access to a lot of wood, but is this a major downfall to the design? Is it much better to have a door for the ash pan for easier clean out?

Are there major disadvantages to having to clean the ash out the main door?

Your input and feedback here are most appreciated because I'd like to make this buy decision within the next 48 hours or sooner.

Thanks,

iBurnWood

Hi
Could you tell use what you are planing to buy ?It dosn't sound like a gasification boiler.What are you want's for a system?What are you heating?
Lot's of knowlagable folks on here,but they will need more info to help.

Edit:

I changed this post in reply to the post above.

I don't think it will be that big a deal to remove the ash from the wood furnace through the main door. Sounds less convenient, but I'll work with it. Matter resolved.

Thanks for looking.

iBurnWood

P.S. "No need for a reply. It's just that I may not be back for a while and won't see your post, etc. thanx."

Yikes.... haste on such major decision usually results in buyer remorse for me. You are going to spend a good deal of time nurturing this thing. Spend some time here reading and asking. The description sounds like a low buck Outdoor Wood Boiler of the smokey type. Best Wishes but....

iBurnWood said:
Now, here's where the question starts. I noticed this unit does not have a clean out drawer under the main fire door. In order to clean it, I'll have to shovel out the ash from the main door. There is no little door underneath so I can slide out an ash pan.

Is this cleaning process going to be a hassle? I was told I'd need to clean it out about once a week. Now I don't mind work as I've done physical labor for many years and have access to a lot of wood, but is this a major downfall to the design? Is it much better to have a door for the ash pan for easier clean out?

Are there major disadvantages to having to clean the ash out the main door?

iBurnWood

To answer your specific question, there is no disadvantage to cleaning out the fire chamber from the loading door. I ran a Central Boiler 6048 with no ash cleaning door. You just let it burn down and shovel out the hot ashes leaving a few embers to restart the next load of wood. Personally, I don't like the ash cleaning doors as then they usually have grates in the bottom of the boiler so that the ashes can fall down into the pan and that is another thing that will have to be replaced eventually.

Tennman said:
Yikes.... haste on such major decision usually results in buyer remorse for me. You are going to spend a good deal of time nurturing this thing. Spend some time here reading and asking. The description sounds like a low buck Outdoor Wood Boiler of the smokey type. Best Wishes but....

+1.....squared.

iBurnWood said:
Edit:

I don't think it will be that big a deal to remove the ash from the wood furnace through the main door. Sounds less convenient, but I'll work with it. Matter resolved.

Thanks for looking.

iBurnWood

P.S. "No need for a reply. It's just that I may not be back for a while and won't see your post, etc. thanx."
You may not see this post. Hopefully you wont see a bad decision sitting on your new slab either. As others have said "slow down" & make a well informed decision, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
iBurnWood said:
Edit:

Thanks for looking.

iBurnWood

You may not see this post. Hopefully you wont see a bad decision sitting on your new slab either. As others have said "slow down" & make a well informed decision, Randy

Ohh, he will be back..........Might not be till next season. :snake:

Status
Not open for further replies.