Questions on new to me XXV stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Hello all,

After flailing around for a season with an Englander, I purchased a used XXV today and have a few questions.

The stove is a 2010, we’re these all painted or can I clean it up with stove polish? If it’s painted, I will be spraying with Stove Brite satin black.

I plan to replace all gaskets as the stove has sat for several years in a garage and not used. Figured it is likely needed along with a good cleaning.

With my englander, I was running a 2” OAK. The Harman calls for a 3” I believe. Will necking it down to 2” cause any issue?

Any other items to be aware of prior to installing?

Thanks in advance!

Judd

The more air the better, it’ll be harder on your combustion fan going to a 2” when 3” is called for, try using a smaller straw in a sting then go to a bigger straw…the difference is very noticeable

Reactions: Juddct
The more air the better, it’ll be harder on your combustion fan going to a 2” when 3” is called for, try using a smaller straw in a sting then go to a bigger straw…the difference is very noticeable
Thanks for the reply and makes sense. I’ll remove and change to 3”.

Looks like my current duravent piping also isn’t compatible with the duravent appliance adapter as well. Looks like it’s a standard adapter and RTV for me.

Reactions: Washed-Up
What is your current duravent, regular pelletvent or pelletvent pro?

Makes sense,

I just went through all this, was buying for a new install so I went pro.