Questions on the caddy furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaccone

Jan 18, 2008
schenectady, NY
I saw a new caddy oil/wood furnace at winair the other day for $2600 as they ordered the wrong thing. Good price but No one there seems to know what an EPA furnace is. Does this produce less creosote? Or just lest smoke? I don't know much about emissions but they have no clue what epa een stands for. some help please

mtaccone said:
someone must know something here about EPA stoves/furnaces ...no?

I looked as USStove's documentation for their EPA Hotblast stove, which I've found out is made by the same company that make's the PSG Caddy EPA, although I forget the name. Essentially, they are very similar stoves, and most of the differences seem to be cosmetic. Here is a copy of the statement from the USStove 1950 EPA Hotblast manual:

Take note that this furnace operates like an EPA wood burning stove. This applies to the lighting, the embers and the minimum combustion air intake which depends on the type and the grade of the combustible.
This model line is certified as meeting the emissions limits in 40 C.F.R. part 60, section 60.532 (B) per EPA methods 28 and 5G-3, February 1988.
Average emissions rate: 6.56 g/hr
Average heating efficiency: 71.43%

I then Googled the CFR, which makes for an intereting read, if you can decipher all the legalese.

To answer your question, the "EPA" furnaces, although exempt, were tested by an independent lab following EPA's standards for testing smoke/particulate emission from indoor woodstoves, and meet them at both the startup temperatures and normal operating temperatures. It's not necessarily anything to with efficiency, although you can't get low smoke emissions without being highly efficient at combustion. It's a great step to offer these stoves when they're not mandated, andI wouldn't buy an ordinary furnace, if these area available.

Unforttunately, as I said in another post yesterday, I can't seem to find a supplier for either the Hotblast EPA or the Caddy EPA here in Upstate NY (Finger Lakes area). The local TSC looked into ordering one for me, and said that USStove said they are sold out. I'd even drive a bit to pick one up if I have to, so anyone with any leads/prices would be greatly appreciated.

I almost bought one of these because I found them to be the best combo furnace available in Canada... then went hydronic. If your close enough to the border you could try www.powrmatic.ca They are a Canadian distributor for PSG. I looked at one in their London warehouse and they did tell me last month that once the unit they had in the system were sold it would be December before they got more.

If anyone is near the Albany area or woudnt mind driving I knew of a supplier that had the caddy combo and didnt know enough about it to sell it> The last I talked to them they had it brand new in the showroom for their cost of $2600.... I went with an insert for this season because I dont want to build a new chimney just yet...

mtaccone said:
If anyone is near the Albany area or woudnt mind driving I knew of a supplier that had the caddy combo and didnt know enough about it to sell it> The last I talked to them they had it brand new in the showroom for their cost of $2600.... I went with an insert for this season because I dont want to build a new chimney just yet...

Can you tell me the name of the supplier?

Status
Not open for further replies.