quick fix?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.
I realized this morning at 4 a.m. that the tab/lever thing that
I use to grab the grate and shake ashes into the pan is broken...of course
the grate is stuck open.

Can anyone tell me if I can just close the grate
(Hearthstone Heritage) and leave it (and not use it anymore)
--or do I need to call for service so they can fix it?

Sounds like a reasonable solution to me.

I read other posts here by owners that quit using the shaker grates on newer stoves. They let the box fill up with ash and then quickly shovel out the ash in the morning when the stove is usually the coolest. Way less hassle was my impression.

We never use the ash pan on our Heritage. It's just so much easier to shovel out the ashes when needed. Stupid design if you ask me but lovin' the stove itself. First full year with it and its working great.

During 24/7 many people, me included, do NOT use the ash pan. Shut it, and burn on. I hve yet to use my Ash pan this year, oh and I won't be using it till spring for final, complete clean out.

OK....
thanks all....
We don't use it much anyway.....but wanted to be sure I didn't upset
the Fire Fairies by not getting it fixed. ;-)

(but now I have to wait for it to cool down---and it's COLD outside! :long: )

Status
Not open for further replies.