Quick intro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simple.serf

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
Sherman, NY
Just wanted to make a quick intro. My name is Paul, and I like to burn wood...

My wife and I just installed an Enerzone Solution 2.9. This site has been invaluable for figuring out how the heck you get an epa stove to burn. I grew up heating with wood, i have fired a pre epa VC Defiant, Encore, a weird heatilator type thing that my father still heats his house with (the "Ultragreat"), 9 different Farjas brick ovens at work that I am responsible for the care of, a steam engine or two, and this enerzone.

So, to put it simply, Hi!

Wow.... A Pyro by nature......... You will fit right in. Welcome to the gang.

Enerzone makes a solid unit. Thats the next step down from the largest (3.4). Nice size box. Whats your burn times in it?

simple.serf said:

Sounds like the intro at a support group meeting. Hi, I like to burn wood too. LOL.

Welcome. Some pics of that Enerzone would be great!

Welcome
Sounds like you bring so good experience & knowledge with you.
Stay warm

Welcome to the forum Paul. Sounds like you've played with fire a bit.

Welcome and +4 to pics

WoodNStuff said:
simple.serf said:

Sounds like the intro at a support group meeting. Hi, I like to burn wood too. LOL.

I was thinking the same thing . . . so in that spirit . . .

Everyone in unison: Hi Paul!

And I'm Jake . . . and I have no problem . . . I like to burn wood too. ;) :)

Seriously . . . welcome to the forum.

Finally Getting to the pictures... my camera had a little incident (getting dropped in the driveway isn't good for a camera?)

Been getting 8-10 hrs on a full load of cherry.

Been a hell of a learning curve for an epa stove... I was able to acquire about 6 cords of semi dry wood after starting with some that was less than ideal, but burnable in the older stuff I am used to. Been taking the semi dry wood and splitting it into quarters to get it to burn hot. I have 5 cords of green ash and oak that is drying for next fall.

Had to clean the stack once... due to some operator error. We're burning 150 degrees hotter now.

Attachments

• P1000002.jpg
    P1000002.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 145
Thanks for the pic- nice little install.

Saw you had experience with the old Defiant- my father is still heating his house with one from 1978. Great heater!

How are the smaller splits treating you? I have not gotten into the "newer" wood in my stacks yet, but feel this may be something I may have to do once I begin taking from there. First row was brought in today for use next week (I rotate between two rows in my basement, one burning, one "drying" off the outdoor moisture)

Have a great and warm winter! Looking forward to tapping into some of your experience in the forums.

simple.serf said:
Finally Getting to the pictures... my camera had a little incident (getting dropped in the driveway isn't good for a camera?)

Been getting 8-10 hrs on a full load of cherry.

Been a hell of a learning curve for an epa stove... I was able to acquire about 6 cords of semi dry wood after starting with some that was less than ideal, but burnable in the older stuff I am used to. Been taking the semi dry wood and splitting it into quarters to get it to burn hot. I have 5 cords of green ash and oak that is drying for next fall.

Had to clean the stack once... due to some operator error. We're burning 150 degrees hotter now.

Lesson #1. New EPA stoves want really dry wood. That ash will burn great next year but I would hold off on the oak a couple more years.

Remkel- The smaller splits are ok... faster, hotter burn. It makes stuff that the stove doesn't really like somewhat palatable. Until I get enough dry wood for my liking, I am going to be checking the stack once every few weeks... I found that this stove will make creosote fast with wet wood. Also, as a side note... maple makes me smile as well. Farmer I work for does 3000 taps and runs a 18x4 oil fired arch.

Dennis- The oak will be a mixed bag. The tree fell over a maple tap road, and was cut in the middle to let the tractor through about 2 years ago. The side with the roots attached was green when I cut it up this year. That section will wait another year. The top might be good next year though... We'll see what the meter says. Also, lots of guys cutting ash here to get it out before the ash borers get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.