quick poll to score or not to score?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
I love hearing the sound of a chainsaw in my neighborhood as it has often meant a score of free wood. This morning, the chance is for Elm - that happens to be infested by hornets and the tree guy is freaked a bit. So, the question is, should I take it or let it pass? I have over a year's worth already split and stacked, but have nothing in my queue. I'm leaning toward letting it go...

Sounds like you need more wood to build up your reserves, if you have a splitter, Id take it.

I personally would take it. Better to have it in the back yard, even if it is white pine, than have nothing.

Shawn

Thanks for the prompt reply guys! I should have mentioned that I don't have a splitter so the thought of a large amount of elm piled up in my yard is NOT appealing. Ugh, decisions,decisions....

Ummm...no splitter? You might want to think about this one for a bit. Sometimes it splits OK. Sometimes it doesn't split. Period.

There ain't no stacking that... :lol:

Attachments

• elm3.jpg
    elm3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 275
I picked up a few pieces of elm on a scrounge this year, they were cut into rounds about 12 inches wide, my little 5 ton splitter couldnt split em, I did manage to split a little bit off and make them smaller but they're going into my stove as big pieces.

If you plan on getting a splitter in the future of can borrow or rent one might as well take them, you can stack them in your yard til your ready. Hate to turn down free wood especially if your not 2-3 years ahead already.

After scoring some elm last week, I'll pass on it in the future. Stringy and a pain in the neck to split, even with hydraulics. Jags picture explains it all.

Hornets . . . I wouldn't worry so much . . . after the tree guy gets done with the wood they may elect to move on.

No splitter . . . that may be more of a concern. I mean I love my elm and it can split up halfway decent when it has been standing dead for a few years, but normally I wouldn't even attempt to start whacking away at elm without the power of hydraulics behind me.

Walk away!

philaphire said:
I love hearing the sound of a chainsaw in my neighborhood as it has often meant a score of free wood. This morning, the chance is for Elm - that happens to be infested by hornets and the tree guy is freaked a bit. So, the question is, should I take it or let it pass? I have over a year's worth already split and stacked, but have nothing in my queue. I'm leaning toward letting it go...

First, if hornets in the tree, cut in January or February.

Second, elm around here gets cut only after it is dead and the bark has fallen. The reason for this is what Jags posted. It can really be nasty stuff.

However, sometimes it is best to ask, what size is the tree! Does it need splitting at all? If so, how much of the tree? If only a small amount needs splitting then get it as it is good wood to burn as rounds.

Again, thanks for the replies- hearth.com rocks. Well, I decided to pass on it. It was a good sized yard tree with 10-12" sprawling branches and maybe a 24" diameter trunk. It was still alive. Just like there's plenty of fish in the sea, there's plenty of trees in my neighborhood/area so here's to hoping for a better score soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.