Quick question about spray foaming my storage tank. Preparing to do it tonight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
I just bought a spray foam kit that will give me about 200 board feet at 1" thick. (Expensive stuff.) On my tank that should equate to about 2.25 inches thick all over it. I will probably go a little thinner on the bottom and a little thicker on the top. I will probably wrap it with some fiberglass insulation I have left over from another job after that. My question is this. Should I let the tank cool down to room temperature before I spray the foam on it? Can the tank be to hot for the foam? Right now the tank is at 150°F Thanks for your time.

Read your instructions with the foam. It is mixed for different conditions. It is very important that the actual tanks and their contents are at the appropriate temperatures. Mixing the foam causes heat to be generated and if the foam goes on too thick it can overexpand and break the bond with the underlying tank. I can guess that you will need to spray mutiple very thin coats, but call the manufacturer if you have questions as you sure dont want to waste the stuff or do a poor looking job.

Status
Not open for further replies.