Quick score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Saw a CL ad for free firewood that actually was near me and had a picture and everything. Big pile of wood, mostly rounds. Owner is moving and want to get rid of it. Ad says "I think its Ash"...pretty sure its willow...bark looks like ash, but its got that willow stink to it and is definitely not a straight grain like an Ash. Grabbed a quick load on Tuesday of the stuff he had already split and tossed every reasonably straight round I could lift without hurting myself. Went back today to bust up some of the bigger rounds with the sledge and wedge. Knocked a few of em into quarters before they were small enough to lift myself...dunno where he got this thing, but it must have been one hell of a tree when it was stadning...some of the bigger rounds were close to 4 feet diameter.

Told the owner I was all set with what I got and he said he's going to burn the rest.

Lot of work...I forgot how much work it is to swing the 12lb sledge over your head a bunch of times. Wood was a major pain to split...wedge jept jumping out when I smacked it. Wood is wet...I still say no way in hell is wood easier to split when its wet.

Sounds like it wasn't ash for sure, with the real difficult splitting. If willow, how are the BTU's? I think I remember that willow is on the low side, but perhaps not. Nice work regardless! Cheers!

Willow is low on the scale. Burns just fine when its dry...ut when its fresh its pretty stinky and you can practically squeeze the water out of it.

Free wood is free wood I always say though. Grab what you can without hurting yourself and don't be too much of a species snob. It all burns when its dry and each wood has characteristics that work well at one time of year or another.

It is very difficult to mix up ash and willow. Two very different woods and different bark patterns. Then there is the smell....

Hey Backwoods Savage: I just noticed that you are classified as a "Fire God!" How's it FEEL to have such power??? (lol)

-Soupy1957

:lol: What's in a name! Seems we see some new ones every now and then. But, Fire God is better than a few other names I've been called. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.