Quicker Defrost Cycle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samandlillie

Oct 2, 2007
My 15 RLQ Fujitsu ductless heat pump,seer of 21 and EER 14.5 operates as low as 5 degrees F(-20 C). However it does go thru the defrost cycle of around 5 min. when it is very damp outside . Any suggestions on how one could speed up the process?Could one use something like electric pipe wrap or some cable . My neighbour has a built in crankcase heater in his UTL outdoor unit and I never see any ice or condensation under the unit. his SEER is 15 and EER is 12. My unit always has ice build up on the ground under the unit. A quick blast of warm air would melt the frost a lot faster.I only run my XXV pellet stove on rare occasions. I have replaced over $1200 of pellets with about $300 of electricity.
Wayne in NS.

samandlillie said:
I have replaced over $1200 of pellets with about $300 of electricity.
Wayne in NS.

Whatcha whinin about? I got a brother that's into UFC but I don't mess with any Fujitsu stuff.

Whether this defrosts with a reversing valve or resistance heater, I doubt you could improve it easily. The only possibility is if you had an alternative heat source, as in ground water. Hook up the defrost timer to turn on a high volume spray nozzle aimed at the coils, heck leave the nozzle on all the time and you've just converted your heat pump to geothermal.

I don't know what UTL is either, but I'd guess the reason that the neighbors unit doesn't have ice under it has a lot to do with the lower efficiency. It's either using more resistance heat in those conditions or it's melting the water away somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.