R-Value of wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UglyStrike

Mar 9, 2012
KY
What R-Value do you need for a wall to be considered non-combustable?

What about fire proof?

Would 1/4" Wonderboard over 1/2" foil backed ceramic insulation (left over from insulating the chimney liner) meet the R-value requirement?

Thanks

The term R-value is not used in the context of surrounding walls...only in the hearth beneath the appliance. Non-combustible and fireproof are basically synonymous. It is determined by the materials used, not the R-value.

Yes, a sheet of sheetmetal with a 1" air space behind it, open at top and bottom qualifies for NFPA 211 protection.

What are you trying to accomplish, clearance reduction or just peace of mind?

What are you trying to accomplish, clearance reduction or just peace of mind?

More peace of mind. My mantel piece will be 1/2" on each side into the clearance area called for by the insert. I am OK on the height clearances. The Wife has to have this oak mantel. I can protect it with the wonderboard and insulation, then blend it in with tile. I just do not want to have anything burn. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.